Question My pc freezes after 2 minutes of games after i installed my new cpu,

Jul 24, 2023
, my specs are 1050ti, amd fx 9370 (upgraded from a 4300) 16gb ram,
I have a water cooler and it runs at about 30° so its not overheating i feel like it could be my hdd as that runs at less that 3mb/s but if its not that i dont know why

Its only after playing games for 2 mins then it just freezes and i have to force shutdown my pc im on windows 10 and windows + d and alt f4 do nothing when this happens any advice on to what it could be?

bignastyid

Titan
I honestly dont know my psu but motherboard is a msi 760gm-p23
That motherboard is not compatible with a 220w 9370, it does not have the proper power delivery. Very few motherboard were able to properly power those slow power hogs. Even the 125w cpus had issues with those budget am3+boards. and yours doesn't even support those if you look at the boards cpu compatibility list.

Jul 24, 2023
That motherboard is not compatible with a 220w 9370, it does not have the proper power delivery. Very few motherboard were able to properly power those slow power hogs. Even the 125w cpus had issues with those budget am3+boards. and yours doesn't even support those if you look at the boards cpu compatibility list.
The rest of the pc run perfectly though its just games, so basically i need a new motherboard?

bignastyid

Titan
The rest of the pc run perfectly though its just games, so basically i need a new motherboard?
Games put more load on the cpu and the board can't deliver enough power to the cpu which causes the cpu to become unstable. Good luck finding a good AM3+ motherboard. Rare as hens teeth these days and when you can find one the price is just stupid high. Best option would be to return the 9370 if possible, go back to the 4300 and save your money till you can upgrade the platform(cpu, motherboard and ram).

Jul 24, 2023
Games put more load on the cpu and the board can't deliver enough power to the cpu which causes the cpu to become unstable. Good luck finding a good AM3+ motherboard. Rare as hens teeth these days and when you can find one the price is just stupid high. Best option would be to return the 9370 if possible, go back to the 4300 and save your money till you can upgrade the platform(cpu, motherboard and ram).
I could barely play basic games on the 4300, i also fully reinstalled windows after installing the new cpu will i have to do that again

bignastyid

Titan
I could barely play basic games on the 4300, i also fully reinstalled windows after installing the new cpu will i have to do that again
Barely is better than not at all. Even getting the best cpu listed as supported(8370E) would just stress the motherboards weak uncooled VRMs to failure(was a common occurrence on that platform). Also the 8370E may perform worse than the 4300 in some games as it has a lower clock speed.

Just swapping the cpu should not require a reinstall. Different motherboard, yes(usually), CPU very rarely.

Hopefully the board was not damaged, there were incidents where boards caught fire trying to run a FX 9xxx cpu.

Jul 24, 2023
Barely is better than not at all. Even getting the best cpu listed as supported(8370E) would just stress the motherboards weak uncooled VRMs to failure(was a common occurrence on that platform). Also the 8370E may perform worse than the 4300 in some games as it has a lower clock speed.

Just swapping the cpu should not require a reinstall. Different motherboard, yes(usually), CPU very rarely.
Should i invest in a am3+ 220w motherboard found of for 70 or save and buy a pc that isnt rlly old

Jul 24, 2023
Make and model of the board?

Can't recommend investing anything into a platform that wasn't all that good when it was new and even todays budget options will shame it.
Ill just get a new pc theyre not that expensive, whats your opinion on 2nd hand parts? Viable option or not really