Question My PC freezes after trying to setup raid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2023
Hi, I can't setup a raid because, if i set the SATA Mode to RAID from AHCI, after i make a restart then my PC completely stuck on the motherboard splash screen. That means i can't boot to windows or a bootable pendrive, or even back to bios.
If i short my cmos pins, and my bios gets resetted, then my PC boots up as if nothing had happened. Somebody faced this issue?
I want to put in raid the two hdds.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF
Motherboard: Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Ram: 2x G Skill Aegis F4-3000C16-16GISB, 2x A-Data DDR4 3000 8G
SSD/HDD:
NVMe / OS : Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB,
M.2 SSD: Silicon Power A55 M.2 SATA,
HDD: 2x WD Blue 1TB

Mar 27, 2023
#1 Why RAID? What specific reason do you have?
#2 You cannot change modes without a wipe and reinstall.

#1 I want better performance in my hdds because i have lots of large files.
#2 I can't reinstall, because if i set SATA Mode to RAID from AHCI, i'm unable to boot into a windows installer OR into my BIOS.
Or do i need to wipe my windows install first? OR my HDDs

Last edited:
Hi, I can't setup a raid because, if i set the SATA Mode to RAID from AHCI, after i make a restart then my PC completely stuck on the motherboard splash screen. That means i can't boot to windows or a bootable pendrive, or even back to bios.
If i short my cmos pins, and my bios gets resetted, then my PC boots up as if nothing had happened. Somebody faced this issue?
I want to put in raid the two hdds.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600AF
Motherboard: Asrock B450M Pro4-F
Ram: 2x G Skill Aegis F4-3000C16-16GISB, 2x A-Data DDR4 3000 8G
SSD/HDD:
NVMe / OS : Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB,
M.2 SSD: Silicon Power A55 M.2 SATA,
HDD: 2x WD Blue 1TB
Try this.
https://www.mysysadmintips.com/wind...om-raid-to-ahci-without-re-installing-windows

Yes I know it's shows raid to ahci but I have used it to switch both directions and did not see a problem......ymmv.

#1 I want better performance in my hdds because i have lots of large files.
RAID will NOT give you any better performance. In fact will reduce performance slightly. RAID is also NOT a backup. If the array fails and you don't have a backup then kiss your data goodbye.
#2 I can't reinstall, because if i set SATA Mode to RAID from AHCI, i'm unable to boot into a windows installer OR into my BIOS.
Or do i need to wipe my windows install first? OR my HDDs
You boot from the installation media NOT the installed OS. And yes, full wipe of the system drive, so backup any data (not programs) you wish to save and have the installation media, along with all license codes, for all installed software. You will have to reinstall all software. Changing modes as suggested above is absolutely not guaranteed to work and if it does fail you're right back to wipe and reinstall anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.