Question My PC freezes and shows different colored screens (each time) after I launch a game and I have no choice but to restart it manually.

PCdude684

Commendable
Apr 16, 2017
I updated my drivers (Radeon Settings) a few weeks ago, but it didn't show any problems except once where the resolution changed to a low one and stuck there, but it was functioning as intended with a restart. I tried the Closed Beta for Ghost Recon: Breakpoint and I got a black screen. After a couple of restarts, I got till a customization screen after which I got a glitchy sound and showed a yellow screen. That evening, I was playing Just Cause 4 and after 30 min of playing, it showed a second yellow screen. (There was a weird static buzzing and noise in my headphones while these screens were there). After a few days, someone on Discord told me that the problem has to be because of drivers because I was getting these screens only after launching something full screen. So I updated my drivers again, but the problem still continued. So I downgraded my drivers to something from more than 3 months ago and see whether this problems still persists. And it did. So yesterday, I removed my drivers and installed them manually and tried playing Borderlands 2 in "Fullscreen Window" aka Borderless Window, and nothing happened. Now, when I launched Destiny 2, it was working fine for about 4 mins after which I got a grey screen. (I wasn't even on the game tab when it happened, I was on itch.io) (This was the 4 color I got until now). Anything I can do to fix this problem? (There was another problem I encountered that is now solved, but I'm linking the post here just in case. (View: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/d0g41f/my_pc_boots_up_shows_desktop_for_a_while_and_then/
)

Screens: View: https://imgur.com/a/z35XYgN

PC Specs:
Ryzen 7 1700
Asus ROG RX 580
2x8GB DDR4 RAM.

DXDIAG info: https://pastebin.com/SrZfNr4y

This looks like a hardware issue with the video card. Have you tried using a different display output for HDMI or if the monitor has the inputs, maybe a different type of display cable like DisplayPort or DVI-D? If changing the display output doesn't change anything it could very well mean the video card has other serious flaws related to bad soldering or faulty parts on the board.

PCdude684

Commendable
Apr 16, 2017
This looks like a hardware issue with the video card. Have you tried using a different display output for HDMI or if the monitor has the inputs, maybe a different type of display cable like DisplayPort or DVI-D? If changing the display output doesn't change anything it could very well mean the video card has other serious flaws related to bad soldering or faulty parts on the board.
The only other display cable I have is VGA and my video card doesn't have a VGA port.

The only other display cable I have is VGA and my video card doesn't have a VGA port.
Before you look into an RMA for a replacement from ASUS, maybe try moving your HDMI cable to the second HDMI port and see what happens. If you have access to another HDMI cable try that on both ports as well. There is still a possibility your monitor as a problem though, so you may want to still look at getting a DVI-D dual-link cable. Did you buy the GPU and add it to your system or was this a prebuilt system?

PCdude684

Commendable
Apr 16, 2017
Before you look into an RMA for a replacement from ASUS, maybe try moving your HDMI cable to the second HDMI port and see what happens. If you have access to another HDMI cable try that on both ports as well. There is still a possibility your monitor as a problem though, so you may want to still look at getting a DVI-D dual-link cable. Did you buy the GPU and add it to your system or was this a prebuilt system?
Tried doing that, and my PC is custom built. My monitor only has a HDMI port and a VGA port.

TRENDING THREADS