My PC freezes completely playing Second Life

Tamy1272

Reputable
May 11, 2015
My PC completely freezes when I'm playing Second Life. This happened 4 times in a week, especially when I use Fraps together with the Second Life platform. I'm only able to do manually restart. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. The processor is an AMD FX-9590-8 Core Processor ~4.7GHz. 16 GB RAM and a Video Card AMD Radeon R9 200 Series.

Tamy1272

Reputable
May 11, 2015

Yes, it's happening the same thing with a game of my sons, Farcry 4, however they can play GTA 5 without problems. Someone told me that could be related to the Antivirus or the Defender or maybe the temperature, but it's a very well ventilated Thermaltake Level 10 case with liquid cooling for the processor.

xeshaka

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
It can be a lot of things. Heat level could be a factor. You can download Core Temp to track that: http://alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Antivirus can also be a factor, but less likely. You can try disabling it temporarily while playing.

FarCry 4 and running Sims/Fraps at the same time are going to be pretty intensive tasks for your computer. One other thing you could try is testing your memory. There are some free programs out there to do that as well, or you could try taking out certain memory sticks in your computer and rotating them to see if a certain one is failing.

Tamy1272

Reputable
May 11, 2015

Tamy1272

Reputable
May 11, 2015

Tamy1272

Reputable
May 11, 2015
Well, I've installed the Core Temp. It shows that even opening Second Life, Fraps and Internet together the temperature never exceeded 42 degrees Celsius. To do the test, I turned off the antivirus completely, keeping only the Windows Defender. I also ran the memory test without find any problems. The GPU-Z tool show me that the temperature of the GPU running Second Life and Fraps together could reach the 60. I don't think that is a hard task for this PC running SL and fraps together. My previous PC despite having only 12 GB RAM, a graphic card with half the power and a 2.6 GHz processor, was able to run both programs simultaneously for hours without any freezing.

xeshaka

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Weird, it really sounded like a overheating or memory issue.

I didn't mean it was a hard task, it's just going to push your computer more than just when you are say browsing the internet. My last PC, everything seemed fine doing basic stuff but when I went to launch a game the screen would get distorted and the game eventually crash. I thought it was a video card issue for a while until I tested the memory and found out one of my memory sticks was busted. It only became a visible when I was running processes that used up enough memory for the computer to start using that stick of memory intensively.

At this point you need to narrow down where it's breaking. Since heat isn't the issue, there could be a hardware issue. There could be an issue with your motherboard, power supply, or video card. You could disable the vid card and try running on integrated graphics and see if it still freezes. The other two are harder to test. You could also try reinstalling Windows (or do a refresh if you're using Windows 8). If you can't determine the issue you may need to contact the manufacture, or take it to a technician.

Tamy1272

Reputable
May 11, 2015

Ohh, come on!! I'm talking about an almost 5GHz processor, 16 GB of RAM, an ASUS Sabertooth Motherboard and a dual GPU RX200 with 2048 MB memory!!

Tamy1272

Reputable
May 11, 2015