Question My PC freezes randomly

Apr 2, 2019
Hello guys my PC keeps on freezing randomly and only i can do is hard reset... the freezing interval varies from 5 to 20 minutes. Sometimes it even freezes in bios when left for a while in Boot options menu.. the temps are normal 40C at normal usage and 65C (max) while gaming.... I suspect my PSU but I need your opinion before investing in it... moreover its an old PC (2012) left unused for 6 months... After that I upgraded for gaming with MSI GTX 1050ti... Also it freezes even with on board graphics :(
My specs:
CPU: intel i3 2100
Motherboard: Intel desktop board
GPU: MSI GTX1050ti OCV1 (new)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 (new)
PSU: Zibronics 450W
HDD: ITB WD Blue (new)
Thanks in advance

Apr 2, 2019
Apr 2, 2019
It's still barely better than a pile of dung, i'd test with another PSU if you have access to a friends system or someone has a spare.
Bro I tried with my frnds PSU the problem still exists... I really confused with my PC.. it freezes/turns off in many different ways each time... I need your help badly :(
These are the conditions ( with GPU)
1. the Same freezing problem as mentioned before.. occurs 5 to 30 min... but Temps are fine for both CPU (63C max) and GPU (55C max) when it freezes..
( Scenarios without GPU )
  1. Turns off automatically without any warning at Idle even at Bios.
  2. Sometimes it freezes and the screen glitches with weird colours
  3. Turns off and makes Ambulance sound and Bois says processor thermal trip when powered on... but still the temps are fine when it turns off ( 50°C)
but what I noticed here is... WITH GPU the PC freezes and turns off after 30 sec to 2 min... and WITHOUT GPU the PC turns off directly without freezing..
Really need your help.. now I suspect my mother board...

Apr 4, 2019
If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, I would break out some 99% alcohol and some contact cleaner. Remove your motherboard and make sure that nothing has been touching the case. That causes problems. Give it a good clean with alcohol and contact cleaner using Q-tips. Be gentle. Some people may frown on it but if its been sitting for awhile and has moisture somewhere, this could help get that out. Here's an example of cleaning:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-qY59VrVS4

This guy seems a bit cavalier, but he has good results.

Good luck. Let me know if you go this route.

EDIT: What PSU did your friend have? If he doesn't have something that's any better than yours, that's not going to help solve the problem.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019
If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, I would break out some 99% alcohol and some contact cleaner. Remove your motherboard and make sure that nothing has been touching the case. That causes problems. Give it a good clean with alcohol and contact cleaner using Q-tips. Be gentle. Some people may frown on it but if its been sitting for awhile and has moisture somewhere, this could help get that out. Here's an example of cleaning:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-qY59VrVS4

This guy seems a bit cavalier, but he has good results.

Good luck. Let me know if you go this route.

EDIT: What PSU did your friend have? If he doesn't have something that's any better than yours, that's not going to help solve the problem.
Yes bro my friend has an decent PSU (Non branded) running fine for him.. moreover I tested without my GPU.. I think my friends 450W PSU if enough to power my computer without GPU..
I will also try your cleaning as you suggested.. Thanks for your response.. :)

menlui

Respectable
Jul 18, 2018
While its good you tried another PSU your friends is non-branded, so most likely as useful as a potato, if you have a power issue. Try these things (you'll need a couple of usb sticks):
  1. Reset Bios by removing the CMOS battery and shorting the clr_cmos with a screwdriver, then drain the electricity by unplugging the PSU and pressing and holding the power button, then try booting
  2. Use your friends computer to get the latest MOBO drivers, so you can flash the MOBO and do that and try booting
  3. Get Memtest86 on a USB
  4. Breadboarding - Remove all your components from the case (if you have thermal paste remove your cooling, clean the CPU and replace) using a wooden board (i.e. non conductive surface reassemble the MOBO with CPU one stick of ram (if you have 2 or more) and PSU, don't attached the HDD and boot. Although this is for electrical issues it's not usually needed but we can cover a few things doing it and clean things up as you have an old system.
  5. If it boots and doesn't freeze power off install all other ram and run memtest86 for a few hours to see if there is any issues there.
Try them and get back to us.​

Reactions: Seregil Landry
Apr 4, 2019
While its good you tried another PSU your friends is non-branded, so most likely as useful as a potato, if you have a power issue. Try these things (you'll need a couple of usb sticks):
  1. Reset Bios by removing the CMOS battery and shorting the clr_cmos with a screwdriver, then drain the electricity by unplugging the PSU and pressing and holding the power button, then try booting
  2. Use your friends computer to get the latest MOBO drivers, so you can flash the MOBO and do that and try booting
  4. Breadboarding - Remove all your components from the case (if you have thermal paste remove your cooling, clean the CPU and replace) using a wooden board (i.e. non conductive surface reassemble the MOBO with CPU one stick of ram (if you have 2 or more) and PSU, don't attached the HDD and boot. Although this is for electrical issues it's not usually needed but we can cover a few things doing it and clean things up as you have an old system.
  5. If it boots and doesn't freeze power off install all other ram and run memtest86 for a few hours to see if there is any issues there.
What he said. And if you aren't sure about some of the steps, just ask. Asking is much better than breaking stuff.

Apr 2, 2019
Thanks lot for your response...!!
I think I am not clear with your methods but I will give a try after further research... But I handed over my motherboard & CPU with service center guys.. after analyzing the Engineer said Changing BIOS Chip (Bios Hardware not firmware) is the solution...He also mentioned that the BIOS always showing Time Error even after replacing NEW CMOS battery.... Is that would be true??? will it solve this problem???? I need Your opinion guys.. Thanks in Advance

Last edited: