My PC Freezes While Gaming

DrumsXO

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
Hey, everyone. I have a bit of a perplexing problem that I'm looking for help with.

As of recently, my PC likes to freeze while I'm gaming. When I say freeze, I don't meant just the game; I mean the entire PC, to the point that I have to hold the power button or toggle the power supply to be able to reboot. Even the reset button atop the tower doesn't work.

System Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K (4.8GHz Overclock at 1.185 volts)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB (+100MHz GPU Clock / +525MHz Mem Clock Overclock)
Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB
Motherboard: MSI Gaming Z270 SLI Plus
OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 (100% up to date on Windows Updates)
PSU: EVGA 850W BQ
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3000MHz (3200MHz Overclock)
SSD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
SSD 2: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB

What I've Tried:
First, I used an elevated CMD to run SFC. There were no errors found.

Second, I used an elevated CMD to run ChkDsk on all of my drives. There were no bad sectors found on any of them.

Third, I ran MemTest86 for one full pass. There were no errors reported.

Finally, I disabled my Overclocking Profile via my BIOS and set everything back to default. I then played The Witcher 3, a game which I would experience freezes in, for five hours straight. My PC didn't freeze a single time.

My Next Move:
I think I need to continue to game without my Overclocking Profile enabled. The only games that I've played since the freezing started are Gwent, The Witcher 3, and The Division. I think I should try playing them, multiple times, over the next several days and see if there are any freezes under stock settings.

After that, I think I should enable my Overclocking Profile again, and repeat the process. Play those same games, multiple times, over several days and see if there are any freezes under overclocked settings.

My Question:
What could possibly cause my system to start freezing while gaming while my Overclocking Profile is active? I've been running the same exact profile for quite some time now; well over a year, possibly bordering on two (or maybe even more than that) and never had this issue before.

Why all of a sudden could this have started happening with my Overclocking Profile enabled, but not under stock settings? Granted, I still have to do more testing to see if it DOES happen under stock settings, but honestly, I don't think it will, because it usually would have happened during that five hour session of The Witcher 3...

I just don't know enough to know what could cause this while overclocked, but not while running stock, when it's never happened before. Furthermore, I don't know how to fix it so that I CAN run overclocked, but not have freezes.

Thanks, everyone. I know that was a lot to read.

mdsimmons1118

Upstanding
Aug 6, 2018
Be sure to know how much you can overclock both your CPU and GPU. If too much, this can draw too much power and also cause overheating making the computer freeze to prevent damage from too much heat.
Try to see if it is fixed by getting the temperature down.

aswindamara

Upstanding
Mar 16, 2018
I do agree with the answer above me.
every components even same brand, lets say MSI 1070 & MSi 1070, it has diffrent durability of maximum oc, and after you OC your graphic card, make sure you do some test with 3D Mark, or any Gpu Test.
You should OC your gpu every 25Mhz, to looking the capability of maximum frequency.

And tbh, EVGA Superclocked no need to OC i guess, since it already OC Series.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
Finally, I disabled my Overclocking Profile via my BIOS and set everything back to default. I then played The Witcher 3, a game which I would experience freezes in, for five hours straight. My PC didn't freeze a single time.
You probably overclocked too much with little voltage. Whole system freezes/crashes usually mean CPU/RAM OC instability.

I've been running the same exact profile for quite some time now; well over a year, possibly bordering on two (or maybe even more than that) and never had this issue before.
As the components age, they start degrading and losing OC potential. One of the many reasons you can overclock since manufacturers deliberately underclock to ensure it lasts years.

Furthermore, I don't know how to fix it so that I CAN run overclocked, but not have freezes.
1. Buy a couple of fans if you have extra space. Make sure your radiator is blowing outside/exhaust and not intake. If you're concerned about noise and performance, buy 20-dB and 60+CFM fans. Good cooling is always recommended.
2. Load your OC profile. Underclock to CPU 4.7GHz and increase your voltage to 1.19v. (it's safe till 1.30v)
3. Underclock RAM to 3100MHz and increase DRAM voltage by 0.02.
4. If it continues, underclock to 90+/500+ on your GPU and max your power limit.
-----------------------------------------
Keep all temps below 80c for long-term use.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this but did you increase system agent voltage and enable LLC? They ensure overall stability so if not, increase system agent voltage offset slightly (0.05+) and put LLC on level 2 or 3.

DrumsXO

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014

I have multiple programs running that allow me to monitor temperatures. My CPU never goes over 65 Celsius while overclocked, and my GPU never goes about 55 Celsius. I highly doubt this has anything to do with temperature.

I've been running the same overclock settings for well over a year and never had any issues. I stress tested everything dubiously before I felt it was stable and left it alone.

I don't think it would be too little of voltage, as I recently started increasing the CPU voltage a bit to try and fix the freezing. I used to run 1.155 volts without a problem, for well over a year. It's only recently that I bumped it up to 1.185 volts.

I already have the maximum amount of fans that my case can handle, and my temperatures stay well within normal; no higher than 65 Celsius on the CPU and 55 Celsius on the GPU. My radiator is mounted in the front in push / pull as it should be.

After a few more fays of gaming, if I don't have any freezing, I'll load my OC back up and try to change the settings a bit to what you suggested and see if it freezes.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
It's only recently that I bumped it up to 1.185 volts.
Do note that you OCed your RAM too. Crashes/freezes can be caused by anything. I would do the overclocks one by one till it causes crashes again. Do the CPU, play a game. Then do the RAM.

Also, I recommended extra fans because of motherboard components that you can't normally monitor (Southbridge, VRMs, ...). If you enough fans, then there's no problem.
------------------------
Also, when Overclocking CPU it's recommended to enable LLC (Load Line Calibration) and disable power saving.
When doing RAM, It recommended to increase system agent/northbridge voltage and DRAM voltage.

DrumsXO

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014

I'm going to play for a few more days without my overclock and see what happens. If it doesn't freeze a single time, then I know it was something to do with my overclocks, and I will enable them one at a time and see what happens. I don't know anything about LLC, System Agent, DRAM voltage, etc. though.

As I stated before, I already have the maximum number of fans installed in my case... I have 3 120mm in the front, 2 120mm on my radiator, 2 120mm on top, and a 120mm in the rear. My case can't house any more fans than that.