my pc gets bad fps drops and studders alot.any way to fix this?

dutchiexx

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015
i built my pc myself, its been working perfectly until now, i can usually play any game on high/max settings with very decent fps.the problem started one day when i slid my pc out to plug in a new set of headphones, after i pluged them in, i saw that my pc has crashed and there was a message on the screen, it said my oc profile has crashed and was restored to default vaules F1 to exit F2 to enter setup.i hit F2, it brung my to my bios menue, i just existed it and restarted my pc, start up was fine, but ever since i got that message, my games keeps studdering and gets really bad fps drops.even with a game like cs:go, when standing still, looking around, the game is perfectly smooth, but once i begin to move my charecter, the game begins to studder.its very un playable for me.i did a complete os restore and that still didnt fix the issue.
here are my specs

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 3001 Mhz, 4 Core(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB DDR3

Total Physical Memory 11.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 7.42 GB

mother board: B85M gaming series

graphics card: GEFORCE GTX 960 SSC

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my bios has this thing called OC genie, it seems like it doesnt effect my gaming at all, i can turn it off and my pc still runs the same, i can have it turned on and my pc still runs the same.
in my bios menue i have options for overclocking, but the option to oc my cpu is greyed out and wont let me change anything.is there anyway i can fix these issues?i even took the little battery out of my motherboard for a few secs, trying to reset my oc profile, still nothing.

Solution
You will not be needing turbo boost in while working in the BIOS. Play a game, and then check it while you are still in the game.
Go into your BIOS, then to the exit page in the BIOS. On that page, select Restore Default Settings, and the Save and Exit.

The computer will then reboot. Go back into the BIOS. If you have memory that is faster than 1333 Mhz, look for a memory setting to activate XMP. Sometimes, you will then get a menu of the speed options your memory can support.

Next look for a setting that will disable the Intel Graphics that is cooked into your CPU. Often, you just need to change the graphics to PCIe instead of on the CPU package. Now Save and Exit again.

At this point let the system boot up, and see if it seems to be running any faster. Play a game or three and see what you think about it.

Now restart the computer, and try using OC Genie, and see if it is working again. If it is not letting you use it, there is probably a BIOS setting that you need to change to enable it. Some systems have a button on the motherboard that you can press to activate OC Genie. Look in your motherboard manual for more info on how to use OC Genie. ou should be able to download the manual for that motherboard on the webpage for your board.

Look around at the other settings in your BIOS and try to remember anything thing that you might have changed at some point in the past, and decide if you want to change those settings again.

I hope I have given you enough info so tht you can figure it out from here.

dutchiexx

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

thanks for the reply, im a little confused at your first sentence, when i enter my bios menue and select the exit option, i only get a message asking if i want to save and exit, i do not see an option to restore defaults, and my mother board does not have the button built onto it for the oc genie, i can only acces it through my bios menue.i have not changed any bios settings but i will look and see if maybe my cpu graphics were enabled or something.

Then look around in your BIOS.

I have never seen a modern BIOS without a Restore Default Settings function somewhere. But I would bet that somewhere out there, someone has a BIOS that does not have it.

Being as how most of us are human, and prone to doing stupid things at the worst possible times, we need that function.

dutchiexx

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

i see, my memory is at 1333 mz, i found the xmp option and it was disabled, when i click it i have a couple options of profile 1 and profile 2, i selected profile 1, my games do seem a little better but i will need further testing, i did however notice something strange. at the top of my bios page i see that it says my cpu is 3.0 GHZ
but right below that, it says my current cpu speed is at 2.70 GHZ
is there a way to oc my cpu in order to get it back to 3.0 GHZ?

TRENDING THREADS