Question My PC Half Froze?

Vlade

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
My PC just half froze. Basically I couldn't open any programs, they would open but were frozen. Only thing I was able to do was using browsers, but not normally. Example all the videos were frozen and would not start. I couldn't even turn off my pc it only closed programs but didn't turn the pc off so I shut it off from the power button. After restarting again it said something "Checking and repairing (C:/) disk" or something like that. It took like 10 seconds and after that the pc started normally and everything is working fine. But I can see that some folders have corrupted or something. In some singleplayer games my saves are not working and all my saved logins in the browser has dissapeared. ( This is all I can see is wrong right now). I also got a pop up message from "Security and Mainteance" that the pc needs to be restarted to fix driver error. I did that and again it did the same "Checking and repairing (C:/) disk" and after that pc started normally again. I didn't get the pop up message again but if I go to the "Security and Mainstance" page it says the same thing "restart for blablabla.." So then I went to event viewer and there it says "Drive C: (\ Device\HarddiskVolume2) needs to be repaired with CHKDSK /F command" (My pc is not in english so I did my best to translate it so there might be some different words). I was almost doing it but then I did some googling and found out that it should not be done if there has been data loss, but I don't know if my problem is about data loss? I also did SSD scan with samsung magician and it said everything is working fine. So what just happened, what is wrong and what can I do about it?

PC:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 Windforce
MOBO: ASRock B450 Pro4
RAM: G.Skill 2x8GB, Ripjaws V 3200MHz
SSD: Samsung 1TB 860 EVO
PSU: Seasonic 650W FOCUS+ 650 Platinum

Last edited:

Vlade

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
After doing multiple scans and tests and getting only messages problems not found, I finally found something that hopefully gives better info. Doing commad "fsutil dirty query C:" to the windows powershell I get a message "Volume - C: is Dirty". Hopefully with this info someone is able to help me.

Vlade

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
When I boot it's trying to run it, but it actually doesn't. It just stays there for 5 seconds saying "Scanning and repairing drive (C: )", but there is no complete percentage shown and the pc boots after 5 seconds. I did run this CHKDSK command, but it came out as "Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required."

This freezing happened again, so it has happened now twice in a day.

Last edited:

Vlade

Reputable
Feb 22, 2019
I started pc in a safe mode and then it was able to do that disk check and repair. After that the dirty tag was gone and doing a manual scan for the disk says "no problems found", when earlier it said something like "problems found, restart for repair". Now my consern is just that what was blocking the diskcheck when not in safe mode, virus?