[SOLVED] My PC has a black screen after installing Nvidia drivers (after using a new GPU riser cable into the PCI-E 4.0 slot) ?

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Here is my Motherboard:
https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-strix-z590-i-gaming-wifi/p/N82E16813119377

Here is my GPU:
https://www.newegg.com/asus-geforce-rtx-3090-rog-strix-rtx3090-o24g-white/p/N82E16814126482

When I plugged my RTX3090 directly into the motherboard's PCI-E 4.0 GPU slot, everything worked fine.

I then used a new GPU riser cable (the blue version from here): https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-PC...703607?hash=item1c9e4988f7:g:MYcAAOSwutZejttp

Problem:
1. When I start up the PC, the PC wont past the "Republic of Gamers" Icon Loading Screen. (its frozen on that image)

2. Next, I reformatted my entire PC with a new copy of Windows 10 Pro after "cleaning the drive". I got to the normal start screen after the complete wipe. But then, after downloading the latest Nvidia Drivers for my RTX 3090(while using the riser cable); during installation, the entire screen just went black and wont change.

3. After the black screen, I forced restarted my PC and then it started going back to Problem 1 over and over again.

4. Windows tried to automatically repair this by going back to "prior installing Nvidia drivers" restore point. Then, the start up worked was back to "normal", however my task manager couldnt see the RTX 3090

Why cant I use my Motherboard + GPU with my riser cable normally? (The point of the GPU riser cable is to get lower GPU VRAM temps while mining)

Solution
So many things wrong with what you said but here are the most important ones:

1. I finally got the GPU to work with the GPU riser adapter and the temperature difference is now 10'C cooler versus mining with direct contact with the MOBO.
  2. A 3090 is worth a lot more than $2000, especially the one I have.
  3. It mines more than the amount you stated.

1: 10 apostrophes cooler? What was? The GPU, the motherboard? Since you said the heat was going from the GPU to the motherboard, then I guess you mean the motherboard? So... your motherboard was over 50 apostrophes C before? Sorry, I don't buy it. Show the temps or this is just meaningless waffle.

2: Ok... the point remains. You're using a $2000+ card in a...

Ralston18

Titan
Curious:

How does a GPU riser cable (?) affect/impact/ control/limit GPU VRAM temps while mining?

How is that supposed to function?

Are you trying to game and mine at the same time?

What was done with respect to "cleaning the drive" - was that a reformat?

As I view the situation that "riser cable" /card seems bogus....

If the problems started with the riser cable and whatever came along with it then remove the cable and see if performance goes back to normal.

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
Curious:

How does a GPU riser cable (?) affect/impact/ control/limit GPU VRAM temps while mining?

How is that supposed to function?

Are you trying to game and mine at the same time?

What was done with respect to "cleaning the drive" - was that a reformat?

As I view the situation that "riser cable" /card seems bogus....

If the problems started with the riser cable and whatever came along with it then remove the cable and see if performance goes back to normal.
A GPU mining while making direct contact with the MOBO is a lot hotter than a GPU mining externally with a GPU riser cable.
I am just trying to mine.
Yes, it was a reformat (complete wipe)
The riser cable works but its the combination of the 3 (MOBO + GPU + Riser) thats causing issues...

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
return the extension cable.
maybe try another version.

i'm guessing you are using it to mount your GPU vertically?
why would having the GPU vertical lower temperatures?
do you have a side fan blowing directly into the GPU fans or something similar?
This has nothing to do with vertically/horizontally mounting.
No side fans. Side fans are also irrelevant.

I am trying to get THIS gpu riser to work without getting another one.

kognak

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
Why cant I use my Motherboard + GPU with my riser cable normally? (The point of the GPU riser cable is to get lower GPU VRAM temps while mining)
If you are using rocket lake cpu and therefore PCIe slot is actually working at 4.0 mode, then your problem is very likely motherboard and card trying to run PCIe bus at 4.0 over 3.0 adapter. Solution is to force 3.0 mode(or even 2.0) from bios when card is normally installed and then switch to riser.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
I don't know who has told you that running a GPU on a riser cable stops heat transferring from the GPU to the motherboard, and that keeps mining temps down, but that is some crazy pseudo-science.

Typically miners use those riser cables to allow them to mount multiple GPUs in the same box but have them spaced far enough apart to get good airflow. Also, riser cables can help you to have each GPU in its own separate chamber which can have its own airflow, stopping a build-up of heat inside a case or wooden box.

Yes, it also stops heat transfer to the motherboard which, if you are running 5 or 6 cards, could get quite significant. But from a single 3090, the amount of heat transferred to the motherboard via the slot would be so small its barely worth thinking about.

Besides which, the ROG STRIX mobo has so much cooling on it, it can easily handle the extra couple of watts being transferred from the GPU.

A 3090 alone is worth around $2,000. Why on earth are you wasting your time mining for $100 worth of crypto on that? The damage you do to the $2,000 GPU from mining on it 24/7 would never be paid back from mining, never mind stressing all your other components in such a high end system for the sake of a few Dogecoins.

It makes zero sense to mine on such a system. Just spend $100 on whatever crypto you were planning on mining, skip the mining step entirely, and save the wear and tear on your PC and your energy bill.

Last edited:

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
I don't know who has told you that running a GPU on a riser cable stops heat transferring from the GPU to the motherboard, and that keeps mining temps down, but that is some crazy pseudo-science.

Typically miners use those riser cables to allow them to mount multiple GPUs in the same box but have them spaced far enough apart to get good airflow. Also, riser cables can help you to have each GPU in its own separate chamber which can have its own airflow, stopping a build-up of heat inside a case or wooden box.

Yes, it also stops heat transfer to the motherboard which, if you are running 5 or 6 cards, could get quite significant. But from a single 3090, the amount of heat transferred to the motherboard via the slot would be so small its barely worth thinking about.

Besides which, the ROG STRIX mobo has so much cooling on it, it can easily handle the extra couple of watts being transferred from the GPU.

A 3090 alone is worth around $2,000. Why on earth are you wasting your time mining for $100 worth of crypto on that? The damage you do to the $2,000 GPU from mining on it 24/7 would never be paid back from mining, never mind stressing all your other components in such a high end system for the sake of a few Dogecoins.

It makes zero sense to mine on such a system. Just spend $100 on whatever crypto you were planning on mining, skip the mining step entirely, and save the wear and tear on your PC and your energy bill.

1. I finally got the GPU to work with the GPU riser adapter and the temperature difference is now 10'C cooler versus mining with direct contact with the MOBO.

SeriousGaming101

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2016
If you are using rocket lake cpu and therefore PCIe slot is actually working at 4.0 mode, then your problem is very likely motherboard and card trying to run PCIe bus at 4.0 over 3.0 adapter. Solution is to force 3.0 mode(or even 2.0) from bios when card is normally installed and then switch to riser.
THIS was the solution. Thanks. Although I figured it out and applied/solved it before I read this message. Hehehe.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021

1: 10 apostrophes cooler? What was? The GPU, the motherboard? Since you said the heat was going from the GPU to the motherboard, then I guess you mean the motherboard? So... your motherboard was over 50 apostrophes C before? Sorry, I don't buy it. Show the temps or this is just meaningless waffle.

2: Ok... the point remains. You're using a $2000+ card in a $12,000+ custom PC to.... mine crypto? That's insane. You're spending more money on energy than you're making, plus putting high levels of wear and tear on a GPU that you couldn't even replace if you wanted to, because its sold out worldwide.

3: No. No it doesn't. If you make more than $100 please show the receipts, but you won't.

Solution