Question My PC has been freezing and then shutting down after a few seconds for the past few weeks.

Oct 7, 2022
It happens 2 to 3 times a day. I can use my PC normally (just browsing the internet) when it suddenly freezes and (after a few seconds) the screen goes black and the PC reboots.
Strangely enough it never rebooted while gaming and only while idling or browsing the web. Also I'm sure the ram's not faulty because I tested it with memtest86.

So any clues as to what might be happening?

Oct 7, 2022
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X running at 3.6GHz
2x8GB Goodram 3000MHz Cl16
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GAMING 8GB GDDR5
SilentiumPC Vero M2 600W 80 Plus Bronze

As for hard drives I got a Toshiba P300 1TB and a Samsung 980 500GB but they seem to be fine.

Oct 7, 2022
Hi,

When did this issue start happening?
How long have your had your PC and how long has the OS been installed?

You can try backing up your data and doing a clean install of windows and see if that rectifys the issue.

It started about 2-3 weeks ago.
I have my PC since 2018 and I haven't replaced a single part since then (only added the second 8GB ram stick and the 500GB SSD a bit later).
My OS have been first installed on the HDD and then after I've bought the SSD I've cloned it to the SSD about a year ago. (I doubt it'll help much but my installation of Win 10 had this weird issue for over a year now where it would completely rearrange the icons on the desktop to seemingly the same pattern every time I restarted it which would always look horrendous becuase it would leave empty spaces between the icons and I honestly never managed to fix that one.)

Also I don't think I have any spare drive big enough to back up both my drives and my internet is way to slow to just upload it to the cloud. I could try to run Windows on a pendrive or something to see if it will change anything. Would it make sense to try that?

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
If you don't have enough space to back up the data for a clean install you can try and perform a re-install within the operating system, you will keep your apps and data and won't lose anything, it will simply take a windows iso image and simply reinstall the default OS files over your current ones and could possibly fix issues.

Follow this guide to perform the reset:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwERjEBWBGE

Make sure it says 'Keep Personal Files and Apps'