[SOLVED] My PC has been freezing every few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

revrevrevdem

Commendable
Mar 7, 2022
Whenever I turn on my computer and log in to the home screen, after a minute the whole PC freezes every 2 seconds! The cursor doesn't freeze at all, the freezing stops if I open task manager. And sometimes in the middle of gaming or something, my PC starts to get super slow, and I can barely do anything and I have to turn off my PC to fix it. This started happening after I watched this video on how to stop the slowness of your PC. I feel like an idiot.
Specs:
GPU - GeForce GTX 1660 super
CPU- i5-9400F
RAM- 8gb (not sure what brand)
Motherboard- ASRock B360m

Solution
Actually, most games don't "require" 16GB or more. In fact, there are few games that require 16GB or will even use it. 16GB is plenty for ANY game out there, and 8GB is plenty for the majority of games out there. 8GB is "sufficient" for pretty much any game out there, although there ARE a few that in some specific scenarios may do a bit better with 16GB. I don't know of ANY games that require 16GB or more, at all.

Now, if you're running a LOT of other stuff alongside the game engine, then it MIGHT be beneficial. Tons of browser tabs, memory intensive applications, VMs, etc., all might increase the demand for memory but without those things then the number of scenarios where more than 16GB would be beneficial to the average gamer are...

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
~get into safe mode first, and run an antivirus and malware scan.
~check motherboard manufacturer website for updated bios revision.
~check your drivers ( i use iobit driver booster-free)
~ clean up your programs; uninstall unused or never used applications
~run a disc cleanup, and defragment/optimize
and lastly....

~ complete the following:

search >" CMD "
run CMD with elevated access ( administrator) and then type the following hitting enter after each one ( let them run and complete the next one after the previous one has completed)

sfc /scannow (process will take some time to complete)

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (process will take some time to complete again)

chkdsk /r

... to be honest depending on what you are trying to run, 8gb of memory isnt that much for gaming purposes, most games now require 16gb or more. to me it sounds like it could be a few different things going on. lack of hard drive space, a failing hard drive, a worm/virus, and out of date drivers.. could also be the cpu overheating, when was the last time you removed the cpu fan and applied fresh thermal paste?

Actually, most games don't "require" 16GB or more. In fact, there are few games that require 16GB or will even use it. 16GB is plenty for ANY game out there, and 8GB is plenty for the majority of games out there. 8GB is "sufficient" for pretty much any game out there, although there ARE a few that in some specific scenarios may do a bit better with 16GB. I don't know of ANY games that require 16GB or more, at all.

Now, if you're running a LOT of other stuff alongside the game engine, then it MIGHT be beneficial. Tons of browser tabs, memory intensive applications, VMs, etc., all might increase the demand for memory but without those things then the number of scenarios where more than 16GB would be beneficial to the average gamer are very, very few.

This sounds more to me like either a combination of factors or possibly a virus or borked Windows installation.

How long have you had this hardware/system and have you done a CLEAN install of Windows at any point after it was assembled or are you running on a Windows installation that pre-dated this build?

Is system restore enabled?

Is automatic TRIM or defragmenting enabled?

It might be helpful to open task manager, then on the bottom left corner click on "More details". Then click on the Processes tab. Then click on the top of the CPU column to sort it by most resource usage and take a screenshot. Post the screenshot here. Do the same thing with the memory column as well.

And contrary to the offered advice, in MY opinion, automatic driver applications like driver booster or any other automatic driver software should be avoided. They cause more problems than they have ever solved and they are not the proper way to ensure you have the most recent and relevant drivers installed.

Solution
....This started happening after I watched this video on how to stop the slowness of your PC....
Blindly following some random youtube post without knowing exactly what you are doing and why is exactly how you get into jackpots like this. Rather than spend days/weeks/months trying to straighten this out (if you ever can) just back up your data and format/reinstall. Then, just use the system as is and use this as a learning experience.

Reactions: Darkbreeze
check your available recent restore points, perhaps there is one from a few days/a week ago before whatever botched setting or even potential malware induced your symptoms....?
Accessible by typing in WIn10 search bar, "restore"...

Select 'Create a Restore point', then, "System Restore"

choose a recent date from before the malady began...

(That it does not occur if task manager is open is troubling, as many forms of malware will attempt to evade detection by suspending themselves when/if task manager is open)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS