[SOLVED] My PC has been micro stuttering almost uncontrollably at times. High frames and no other problems.

Jun 13, 2020
I have had this pc for almost a year now. My specs are:
I7 9700k

GTX 2080 super

IPSG 32GB 2X16 D4 3000 TRZ RGB

SAMSUNG E 1TB 970EVO+NVME M.2 SSD

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING

CORSAIR RMX750X FM 80+G ATX PSU

As well as being water cooled. My cpu never goes over 60 degrees celcius even after being overclocked. GPU never goes over 65. The problems have been happening even before the overclock. Not sure what to do and replacing the PSU is the only thing I can think of left to do. Seems random with no frame spikes and constant regular frames. Have redownloaded the drivers twice and resetting windows as we speak for a second time.

Solution
vsync is a scam, especially in higher frame rate games. G-sync is great don’t get me wrong. But v sync has always caused screen tearing. Input lag. And even more loss of frames versus me just uncapping the frame rate. As for frames I usually go around 180 for modern warfare. And 120 is the cap for escape from tarkov anyways but I got a 1080p 144hz monitor and a g-sync 1440p 165hz monitor. And before you say escape from tarkov frames are low and it doesn’t match up with the refresh rate. I have had absolutely no problems. I’ve put almost 3000 hours into the game since alpha. Same for modern warfare

Micro stuttering is usually the result of frames not in sync, especially when fps is over the refresh rate. Gsync alone doesn't cap...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What's the refresh rate of your monitor and how much over are you in terms of fps?

Monitor can only show so many and if over, frames do get skipped, creating a jitter effect. Vsync helps with this. If reason not to use it is because of input lag, there are ways around it.

D

Deleted member 1272431

I have had this pc for almost a year now. My specs are:
I7 9700k

GTX 2080 super

IPSG 32GB 2X16 D4 3000 TRZ RGB

SAMSUNG E 1TB 970EVO+NVME M.2 SSD

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING

CORSAIR RMX750X FM 80+G ATX PSU

As well as being water cooled. My cpu never goes over 60 degrees celcius even after being overclocked. GPU never goes over 65. The problems have been happening even before the overclock. Not sure what to do and replacing the PSU is the only thing I can think of left to do. Seems random with no frame spikes and constant regular frames. Have redownloaded the drivers twice and resetting windows as we speak for a second time.

Have you checked NVIDIA drivers update? At times Windows automatically updates (or forces you to do so) and GPU drivers are left behind, resulting in communications problems between your OS and graphics interface.

Jun 13, 2020
What's the refresh rate of your monitor and how much over are you in terms of fps?

Monitor can only show so many and if over, frames do get skipped, creating a jitter effect. Vsync helps with this. If reason not to use it is because of input lag, there are ways around it.

vsync is a scam, especially in higher frame rate games. G-sync is great don’t get me wrong. But v sync has always caused screen tearing. Input lag. And even more loss of frames versus me just uncapping the frame rate. As for frames I usually go around 180 for modern warfare. And 120 is the cap for escape from tarkov anyways but I got a 1080p 144hz monitor and a g-sync 1440p 165hz monitor. And before you say escape from tarkov frames are low and it doesn’t match up with the refresh rate. I have had absolutely no problems. I’ve put almost 3000 hours into the game since alpha. Same for modern warfare

Jun 13, 2020
Have you checked NVIDIA drivers update? At times Windows automatically updates (or forces you to do so) and GPU drivers are left behind, resulting in communications problems between your OS and graphics interface.
Yes. I’ve checked chipset. Mother board. Graphics. Windows. And pretty much wiped my computer twice now. I’ve reinstalled everything almost possibly can without doing a full wipe of all my files

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Micro stuttering is usually the result of frames not in sync, especially when fps is over the refresh rate. Gsync alone doesn't cap fps as you're probably aware and for a fast machine like yours, if fps is likely to go over refresh rate then frames are either manually capped or Vsync is used to automatically keep fps within Gsync range and toggles itself on/off depending where the fps sits. Which in your case is between 30Hz to 165Hz.

As for Escape From Tarkov, well no, i wouldn't have said 120fps be an issue. Quite the opposite actually, it's in Gsync's targeted variable Hz range so there wouldn't be a problem.

Sometimes micro stutter/ tearing, as of being over the refresh rate in some games, might not be AS noticeable as others and also can be less noticeable with high refresh rate monitors. But It's still the same deal, it's like reading a magazine with spliced or even missing pages and results in motion not being completely smooth.

---

If this isn't what's happening here then it could be the pagefile. Huge ram, creates huge pagefile and Windows does like to constantly change it's size, meaning more drive activity. If you haven't tried already, setting it to a fixed size of perhaps minimum 1024 and maximum of say 5GB could help. But if stutters were the result of drive activity, it wouldn't be micro stutters.

Another possibility could be CPU usage. Have you monitored total CPU usage in game? CPU needs to process a lot of things, and that's also including feeding the graphics card frames. The more frames there are, the more CPU needs to do.

Solution
Jun 15, 2020
Please let me know if you solve this, ive been having similar issues with a similar build as you. It’s been driving me insane and Ive tried a lot to fix it. Every game has stutters for me. My temps are fine, I have the latest drivers. I’m going to test my buddies GPU in my build to see if that could be the issue, but if that doesn’t fix it I’m stumped.