[SOLVED] My PC has Intel-i5 9500 with 6 cores & 12 logical processors, but now it's only showing 1 core & 1 logical processor ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 3, 2023
Hi, my OMEN pc has an intel i5 9500 6 core cpu which was working with all 6 cores and 12 logical processors available, however it now shows that there is only 1 core and 1 logical processor and the system is now extremely laggy and freezes especially under heavy loads such as multiple programs running concurrently, which it never had a problem with before. The only hardware change was that I swapped SSDs with another desktop(HP Pavillion gaming 690-0xx). And get this after the swap some of the system information from the HP Pavillion migrated to the HP Omen such as serial number, System name and system SKU. I have tried using msconfig. to reset the cores but only 1 shows up. I have updated the bios as well as formatting the ssd and reinstalling a clean version of windows 10. I have run all the diagnostic tests on the hardware and all the components passed. Kindly assist if you have an idea what the issue might be.

that option is grayed out so you cannot select to show logical processors
What you are seeing is the overall utilization view.
You do indeed have one processor, the 9500.
I do not know why the logical thread view is greyed out.
Do you have a legit activated copy of windows?
If not, personalization options are disabled.

Another possibility is that you have set the msconfg boot option to 1 processor.
  1. Type 'msconfig' into the Windows Search Box and hit Enter.
  2. Select the Boot tab and then Advanced options.
  3. Uncheck the box next to Number of processors.
  4. Select OK and then Apply.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I've seen other people with this same problem after doing a drive swap like this.

This falls squarely into: "It 'works', but you're chasing issues for weeks/months."

As indicated above, a fresh OS install in this hardware will fix it right up.
Or, you could spend weeks fixing this, and all the other little problems you've not yet seen.

Reactions: John Chesterfield
Try booting into safe mode, check Task Manager - core/threadcount. Then boot back into normal mode.
This should redetect hardware.

If that doesn't help then execute following from elevated command prompt
bcdedit /set {current} detecthal "Yes"
Reboot and check Task manager - core/thread count.
After that execute from elevated command prtompt:
bcdedit /deletevalue {current} detecthal

Check the box next to Number of processors and select the number of cores you want to use
This box needs to be clear and then you have to reboot so Windows can find all of the available cores. This box should never be checked. If only 1 core is being detected, the available menu will not have an option to select 6 cores. Only clearing this box and rebooting can reset this.

@MartinPerez1
There is no need to re-install Windows when this happens.
Just run msconfig, clear the Number of processors box and reboot.

PuZBIIR.png

Reactions: CompuTronix

USAFRet

Titan
Another possibility is that you have set the msconfg boot option to 1 processor.
  1. Type 'msconfig' into the Windows Search Box and hit Enter.
  2. Select the Boot tab and then Advanced options.
  3. Check the box next to Number of processors and select the number of cores you want to use (probably 1, if you are having compatibility issues) from the menu.
  4. Select OK and then Apply.
No.

Uncheck that box.
This makes ALL procs/cores available.

Of course, this system is still seeing the config of the old system, and NEEDS/REQUIRES a fresh OS install.

Jan 3, 2023
I've seen other people with this same problem after doing a drive swap like this.

This falls squarely into: "It 'works', but you're chasing issues for weeks/months."

As indicated above, a fresh OS install in this hardware will fix it right up.
Or, you could spend weeks fixing this, and all the other little problems you've not yet seen.
A fresh install totally worked!!!! I also downloaded a new bios from hpdriverscenter . net rather than the hp support website which was misidentifying my pc with the one I had swapped with. Thanks a lot guys

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS