[SOLVED] My PC has multiple strange problems. I think it’s hardware, not software. Please help.

Sep 19, 2019
Many months ago my PC started to freeze and reboot randomly, it was slow and I had to plug it off because it didn’t respond. The red light it has that says (HDD) stayed off when these freezes happened, so I assumed it was my ssd or my hdd failing. A week ago I bought a new SSD and unplugged the HDD I had.

Now I have many weird errors. The computer takes forever to start, turn off or restart (about 20 min). The file explorer doesn’t refresh automatically, sometimes the cpu and the ssd go to 100% usage, words appear cut and disorganised, in all programs and files. Some games don’t start and appear as “Not responding” in the Task Manager. Other times the screen goes completely black and I can only see and move my mouse.

I tried installing a new OS but it didn’t work, updated all drivers, cleaned the computer with compressed air... And the same problems remain. I think it might be some hardware component that got too hot during summer and started failing, but I can’t afford to buy a new CPU or motherboard just to test which one it might be. My GPU seems to work fine with the games that do open, and a few times all problems disappear after a reboot but start again the next day, what could this be?

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 4GHz
GPU: r9 280x
SSD: Samsung EVO 860 500Gb
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3
RAM: 8x2Gb Kingstone HyperX
PSU: LEPA B700M Maxbron

Last edited:
Solution
Many months ago my PC started to freeze and reboot randomly, it was slow and I had to plug it off because it didn’t respond. The red light it has that says (HDD) stayed off when these freezes happened, so I assumed it was my ssd or my hdd failing. A week ago I bought a new SSD and unplugged the HDD I had.

Now I have many weird errors. The computer takes forever to start, turn off or restart (about 20 min). The file explorer doesn’t refresh automatically, sometimes the cpu and the ssd go to 100% usage, words appear cut and disorganised, in all programs and files. Some games don’t start and appear as “Not responding” in the Task Manager. Other times the screen goes completely black and I can only see and move my mouse.

I tried...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What is your PSU make and model?

So you say you have various problems, and you have swapped storage drives as well as clean installed windows and the issue persisted?

If so, have you also got latest BIOS installed?
Have you monitored CPU and GPU temps?
Have you run memtest to verify the integrity of the RAM modules?

I tried installing a new OS but it didn’t work, updated all drivers, cleaned the computer with compressed air... And the same problems remain. I think it might be some hardware component that got too hot during summer and started failing, but I can’t afford to buy a new CPU or motherboard just to test which one it might be. My GPU seems to work fine with the games that do open, and a few times all problems disappear after a reboot but start again the next day, what could this be?

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8350 4GHz
GPU: r9 280x
SSD: Samsung EVO 860 500Gb
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3
RAM: 8x2Gb Kingstone HyperX
Did you change the SATA port used or the SATA cable when replacing the hard drive? If not, do both now if you can. It's always a good idea to change the SATA cable and SATA ports when the Hard Drive is suspect.

Solution
Sep 19, 2019
What is your PSU make and model?

So you say you have various problems, and you have swapped storage drives as well as clean installed windows and the issue persisted?

If so, have you also got latest BIOS installed?
Have you monitored CPU and GPU temps?
Have you run memtest to verify the integrity of the RAM modules?
My PSU is LEPA B700M Maxbron . I did all those things already before trying my luck here but they didn't fix the problem. My temps look fine and the memtest I did said there were no errors, thanks for trying though.

Sep 19, 2019
Did you change the SATA port used or the SATA cable when replacing the hard drive? If not, do both now if you can. It's always a good idea to change the SATA cable and SATA ports when the Hard Drive is suspect.
I didn't, I'll try to have it done this week and I will update my status. Thank you for answering.