My PC has partitioned itself

thomasjamesbullock

Prominent
Aug 29, 2017
Hi Guys,
I recently upgraded everything in my PC apart from the hard drives.
I had windows 10 but the PC POSTed and said 'missing OS'
I installed Ubuntu just so I could get an OS going and there is a partition table with my old files and windows 10 loaders, however I cannot navigate the sea of file types
Can anyone help?

Solution
Next time, try live version of ubuntu meaning it loads off of usb or dvd without installing.
For now, I'd use ubuntu to back up your important documents and such, then get your windows install cd or usb, wipe all the partitions on the drive, merge them into single partition, and then try installing windows 10 fresh. Otherwise to try uninstalling ubuntu, deleting its boot record, repairing old windows boot record...it'll take you longer than simple wipe and reinstall after you back up important stuff.

Sedivy

Estimable
Next time, try live version of ubuntu meaning it loads off of usb or dvd without installing.
For now, I'd use ubuntu to back up your important documents and such, then get your windows install cd or usb, wipe all the partitions on the drive, merge them into single partition, and then try installing windows 10 fresh. Otherwise to try uninstalling ubuntu, deleting its boot record, repairing old windows boot record...it'll take you longer than simple wipe and reinstall after you back up important stuff.

Solution

You need to do a clean Windows setup if you are re-using your hard drive for a new system.
I'd get a new hard drive, format it, install Windows on that, use your old drive to copy your files out of and for backups. If you want to re-use your drive, again, copy the files from it to another drive, install Windows clean on that drive.