Question My PC has significantly slower internet than laptop

Apr 30, 2019
I have just moved my PC setup so I can plug directly into the router rather than the WiFi extender but it ended up being slower...
Here are some test that I ran between my laptop and PC.

Laptop: MSI 1-2 Years old
Ethernet to WiFi extender: 70-80Mbps
Ethernet to Router: 90-100Mbps

PC: Built in 2016 and also has an Asus Z170-AR Mobo
Ethernet to WiFi extender: 50-60Mbps
Ethernet to Router: 20-30Mbps

This is extremely confusing and frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
PS. I have updated my LAN Driver for the Motherboard and speeds remained the same

Ralston18

Titan
When you moved the PC from wireless to wired did you disable the wireless adapter?

Only one network adapter (wired or wireless) should be enabled.

And double check the PC's wired adapter network configuration settings. Match the settings to the router. If manual try auto. If auto try manual.

Also try another known working (at speed) ethernet cable. A faulty or poor quality cable can wreak havoc on performance.

Windows 10? Use the built in Windows troubleshooters - they may find and fix something.

Apr 30, 2019
Sorry, I should have clarified that when I was using the WiFi extender, I was using an Ethernet cable to it.

Also the same Ethernet cable is used for the Laptop and PC

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019
I currently have the Ethernet cable plugged into the "Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender" which is connected to the router via wifi. I have better download speeds with the "NightHawk" rather than the Router, even with the same ethernet cable.
Hope this clarifies things

So
Router Wifi <--> Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk Wifi <--> Netgear AC1900 Nighthawk Ethernet <---> Computer Ethernet?

This is commonly called a bridge mode. It operates the same as a regular range extender, except it doesn't rebroadcast the data over the wifi once it's received. (As there is no need to)

And you are saying this setup is FASTER than a straight connect to the router using Ethernet?

What model Router?

Apr 30, 2019
The router is called Fritz!box 7490 which was provided by my internet company, Internode (Australia).

Yes, for some reason the Nighthawk setup is faster than direct to router on my PC.

I have also run the same configuration (same ethernet cable) with a recently new Laptop which received 80Mbps through the Nighthawk ethernet and 100Mbps direct to the router via ethernet.

Appreciate the help!

The router is called Fritz!box 7490 which was provided by my internet company, Internode (Australia).

Yes, for some reason the Nighthawk setup is faster than direct to router on my PC.

I have also run the same configuration (same ethernet cable) with a recently new Laptop which received 80Mbps through the Nighthawk ethernet and 100Mbps direct to the router via ethernet.

Appreciate the help!

I was going to suggest swapping the cable. Some network interfaces are more sensitive electrically what they connect to. A good cable will help this. But 100mbps should be a no brainer easy config even for 8 year old pcs.

I would check the network adapter settings properties and change it to read 100mbps connection rate. Its possible your computer is trying to negotiate 1gbps (doubtful but worth a try). Hard setting it to 100mbps may improve the issue.

If you need help doing this let me know.

Edut: never mind. The fritzbox is 1gigabit. So this shouldnt be an issue.

If you have an intel network on your computer i would use the intel network toolbox and look at the cable signal analyzer for the quality of cable you are using. You should be getting 900mbps+ internally.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2019
I was going to suggest swapping the cable. Some network interfaces are more sensitive electrically what they connect to. A good cable will help this. But 100mbps should be a no brainer easy config even for 8 year old pcs.

I would check the network adapter settings properties and change it to read 100mbps connection rate. Its possible your computer is trying to negotiate 1gbps (doubtful but worth a try). Hard setting it to 100mbps may improve the issue.

If you need help doing this let me know.

Edut: never mind. The fritzbox is 1gigabit. So this shouldnt be an issue.

If you have an intel network on your computer i would use the intel network toolbox and look at the cable signal analyzer for the quality of cable you are using. You should be getting 900mbps+ internally.

I'm assuming that this is done through the BIOS?
I'll look into getting a new cable this weekend but this one was only purchased a year ago.
Definitely worth a shot