My PC Has Started Freezing

Watwazat

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Hey, everyone.

A couple of weeks ago I thought my monitor was becoming unresponsive after it had gone to sleep. Every now and then after the monitor itself had gone to sleep (not the entire PC), it wouldn't wake when I moved the mouse. I tried turning the monitor itself on and off but it didn't help. I confirmed that the mouse and keyboard were both set to be able to wake the PC.

Initially I thought this was a sign that my graphics card was going, but now I'm thinking it's my PC freezing... It happened earlier today and instead of using the reset button on the front panel to reboot, I tried to sleep the entire PC by hitting WinKey > Left > Left > Enter; nothing happened. When I hit the reset button, it took about 15 seconds to shut down and restart, which I realized it's been doing whenever this happens. Normally it reboots almost instantly when I use that button. The HDD activity light is also not lighting up at all when this happens.

Is this something I should be worried about? This started happening recently, and happens a couple times each week. I hope it's not my SSD or my Motherboard...

Watwazat

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

No, I don't.

I do have an update though. Today I decided to set the monitor to never sleep just like the system is set, and when I'm walking away from the PC for what I know will be an extended period of time, I just turn the monitor itself off. So far there hasn't been any freezing.

I'm not sure what to think. I suppose it's possible that it could be the monitor itself, but why would it cause the system itself to lock up? Whether the monitor itself is working or not, using WinKey > Left > Left > S should sleep the computer; I've tested this with the monitor on and off and it works. How could a defective monitor cause the system itself to freeze up and not respond?

There's this nasty feeling in the pit of my stomach that says it's going to end up being something expensive. Nothing ever works out for me without it costing me a sizable amount of money, and I can't shake the feeling that it's my SSD, my GPU or my Motherboard taking a crap on me. :(

Watwazat

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

IF it continues working that is... This tends to happen randomly, so it could be that it just hasn't happened again yet, but will even with this new plan of mine. That's why I'm hoping someone will come along who has experienced something like this before and can tell me what the problem actually is, so I can fix it.

Watwazat

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
So nobody has any idea why my monitor going to sleep would cause my system to lock up? I like the idea of having the monitor be asleep when not in use for long periods of time because it saves energy and probably extends the lifespan on the monitor. I've thought about just setting the whole system to sleep after 10 minutes or so, but I've heard that decreases the lifespan of an SSD.