Question My PC is a special snowflake

Mar 17, 2019
My Pc is deciding not to be nice and will not post.

It all started when my i looked at my monitoring software an it said my ram wasn’t working as well as it should be. So i decided i would just switch the ram slots. Once i switched them my monitor was saying no signal so i switched them back. After i switched them back it still wasn’t working. So i turned it off and back on again, the red cpu light is on and the power button no longer turns the pc off and if i hold it it starts blinking and my gpu fan turns off and thats it.

I was using the CAM software. I think the RAM was fine but it said it was running at 2100 MHz and I just decided to switch the ram slots to see if anything would change.

Windows 10
B450 Auros pro wifi
Radeon Vega 64
Ryzen 7 2700x
Evga 750W Gold
Samsung 500GB SSD

TridentZ
16GB (2 x 8gb)
DDR4 3000

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

qu245

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2015
  1. What did CAM tell you exactly? That your RAM isn't working as well as it should isn't much to work with.
  2. Remove all of your ram, get a can of compressed air for PC cleaning and clean everything up, especially your ram slots and everything else... make sure there is no dust anywhere.
  3. Get your motherboard's manual, find the section about RAM installation and install your sticks into the specified slots for 2 sticks of ram. You can't just plug your RAM into any slot you want... there is a specific way they should be installed for every motherboard.
  4. Did you by any chance touch anything else while moving your RAM sticks around? This can seem stupid but I once accidentally removed a USB port separator from my case's front panel (small piece of aluminium between two USB ports) and, without looking plugged it back in, only it went on top of a USB port instead of between them and that was causing my system to fail post because of a short circuit I thus created , took me about 2 hours to figure out... practically took the RIG apart...
  5. Go through your motherboard's manual and look for troubleshooting or error notifications, sounds, lights, numerical or alphabetical displays, etc... and see what they mean and if you are getting any.

Just to make sure, currently what happens if you try to boot is your fans start, a light of some sort lights up and then everything turns off?

One way to identify hardware issues at home without special equipment is to swap out PC parts between two RIGS, one working and one faulty, replace the components in the working RIG by the components from the faulty RIG one by one until the working RIG fails, that's when you apprehend your culprit. Of course, this isn't full proof and you might not have 2 rigs that are compatible like that. *Do at your own risk...

Reactions: TalonX4
Mar 17, 2019
  1. What did CAM tell you exactly? That your RAM isn't working as well as it should isn't much to work with.
  2. Remove all of your ram, get a can of compressed air for PC cleaning and clean everything up, especially your ram slots and everything else... make sure there is no dust anywhere.
  3. Get your motherboard's manual, find the section about RAM installation and install your sticks into the specified slots for 2 sticks of ram. You can't just plug your RAM into any slot you want... there is a specific way they should be installed for every motherboard.
  4. Did you by any chance touch anything else while moving your RAM sticks around? This can seem stupid but I once accidentally removed a USB port separator from my case's front panel (small piece of aluminium between two USB ports) and, without looking plugged it back in, only it went on top of a USB port instead of between them and that was causing my system to fail post because of a short circuit I thus created , took me about 2 hours to figure out... practically took the RIG apart...
  5. Go through your motherboard's manual and look for troubleshooting or error notifications, sounds, lights, numerical or alphabetical displays, etc... and see what they mean and if you are getting any.
Just to make sure, currently what happens if you try to boot is your fans start, a light of some sort lights up and then everything turns off?

One way to identify hardware issues at home without special equipment is to swap out PC parts between two RIGS, one working and one faulty, replace the components in the working RIG by the components from the faulty RIG one by one until the working RIG fails, that's when you apprehend your culprit. Of course, this isn't full proof and you might not have 2 rigs that are compatible like that. *Do at your own risk...
Ok I’ll go through the list

What’s happening right now is everything will turn on but the monitor always has no signal. I’ve tried multiple monitors on it. And there is a little red light on my motherboard that lights up right when I turn it on that I’m pretty sure is for when something is wrong with the Cpu

Also I think I was just dumb with the CAM software because it told me that the ram was working at like 2100 Hz and I expected it to be 3400. I just switched the ram slots to see if it would change anything.

Mar 17, 2019
Ok I’ll go through the list

What’s happening right now is everything will turn on but the monitor always has no signal. I’ve tried multiple monitors on it. And there is a little red light on my motherboard that lights up right when I turn it on that I’m pretty sure is for when something is wrong with the Cpu

Also I think I was just dumb with the CAM software because it told me that the ram was working at like 2100 Hz and I expected it to be 3400. I just switched the ram slots to see if it would change anything.
Your mobo manual includes an instruction on how to clear CMOS too if you're unsure, look it up and follow the instructions. As remixislandmusic said, it could help.
Still nothing

I thinks it’s a cpu problem and I bent the pins somehow by like hitting the fan or something. Because the red cpu light is on, and my power button doesn’t turn off which the RAM shouldn’t affect

Last edited:

qu245

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2015
If you're saying that now it boots but the monitor says "no signal", the post passes.

Plug your monitor directly into your motherboard, there should be a port, I just checked your motherboard's manufacturer's website, it should have a DVI-D and an HDMI port, try using those, bypass your GPU and see if the monitor works. Try both if one doesn't work.

Also, you can't bend the pins by hitting the fan or the heatsink, you are more likely to crack the motherboard in pieces :) The only point at which you can bend the pins is while inserting/removing CPU's or messing with an open socket.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019
If you're saying that now it boots but the monitor says "no signal", the post passes.

Plug your monitor directly into your motherboard, there should be a port, I just checked your motherboard's manufacturer's website, it should have a DVI-D and an HDMI port, try using those, bypass your GPU and see if the monitor works. Try both if one doesn't work.
Ok

It's probably due to moving them around, and the motherboard expecting the memory to be configured differently. As was suggested, clearing the CMOS should reset the motherboard to its default settings, and potentially fix the issue.

If your RAM was operating at only DDR4-2133, you would want to change the memory speed in your motherboard's BIOS settings once you get things working again, since the 3000 speed may not have been automatically detected.

BTW, not sure if it applies or not, but ....when you moved RAM around, was the rig merely 'shutdown' (where it seems like it's off, but, really it's only about 95% 'off'!) or, shutdown and then power fully removed/switched off at rear of PSU....

Never reseat/install/remove anything until power is fully removed from rear of PSU or switched off at rear...

You are risking ruining RAM and/or MB by doing so...

Ralston18

Titan
@TalonX4

Before going much further or doing anything else - read the Motherboard's User Manual.

If I have correctly identified the motherboard here is the applicable link:

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b450-aorus-pro-wifi_1001_e.pdf

Verify that the link is correct. If not, search for the applicable User Manual based on motherboard's make, model, and version.

You may discover that the problem is something very simple and easily resolved. Or at least gain some additional understanding of what all may be involved and then how to proceed.

Going to a service store may end up being necessary. However, the more you know beforehand the less likely you will be be taken advantage of. Purposely or otherwise.

Mar 17, 2019
@TalonX4

Before going much further or doing anything else - read the Motherboard's User Manual.

If I have correctly identified the motherboard here is the applicable link:

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_b450-aorus-pro-wifi_1001_e.pdf

Verify that the link is correct. If not, search for the applicable User Manual based on motherboard's make, model, and version.

You may discover that the problem is something very simple and easily resolved. Or at least gain some additional understanding of what all may be involved and then how to proceed.

Going to a service store may end up being necessary. However, the more you know beforehand the less likely you will be be taken advantage of. Purposely or otherwise.
Yes it’s the right manuel

The only thing i could find is that if the cpu light is on it just means the cpu isn’t working normally.

I think that as mdd1973 said I didn’t completly turn off the power to the pc and it might have ruined the mb so i’m going to look at it tonight and will probabbly bring it to a service store this weekend