Question My PC is constantly crashing, freezing, and getting worse!

Nov 1, 2020
Hey Tom's Hardware,
I have a major problem with my computer. Whenever I'm playing a game, the computer will lock up where I can't do anything, the audio will start buzzing, and the only thing I can do to fix it is a hard shutdown (holding the power button until It turns off).
I took it to a PC repair shop, and they replaced my GPU from a 2080 to 2080 Super and the issue is still there.

CPU: i7 9700KF
RAM: Neo Forza NMUD480E86-3200 (2 x 8GB)
GPU: 2080 Super -- Just replaced.
Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Pro4
PSU: PowerSpec 750 Watt 80 Plus Bronze ATX Semi-Modular Power Supply

Here's what I've tried:
  • Windows updates.
  • Multiple factory resets.
  • Enabling/disable XMP.
  • Temperatures are normal sitting anywhere from 60-80C while gaming.
  • Checked the disk for any failures.
  • Ran Furmark, Cinebench R20, and RAM stress for crashes. (None happen when I do this.)
  • Ran "chkdsk /f" in Command Prompt.
  • Updated my GPU drivers.
  • Updated my BIOS.
  • Updated every driver you could probably think of.
  • Power plan set to high performance.
The PC came as a pre-built from MicroCenter.
The only thing I haven't tried is removing and replacing my CMOS battery.

I read somewhere that my LLC could be low, and that's what's causing the crashes? I'm not exactly too sure, this only happens when I'm gaming and It's getting worse and worse as time passes.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'd be wondering about the psu. The PowerSpec is MicroCenter housebrand psu built by HighPower (Sirtec/Sirfa) and while that's a major psu OEM, they build to partner requirements. Since it's a pre-built, that means cutting costs wherever possible, just to stay competitive with ppl like HP and Lenovo etc.

Which explains a 750w psu with a Bronze efficiency rating. Specs say it's capable of the full 750w on the 12v rail, and it has the full range of protective circuitry etc, so on paper it's not too shabby, but a 13ms hold up time is a fail, atx standards is 16ms. So I'd hazard a guess it's got the cheapest possible caps, shortchanged abilities etc regardless of what's actually on the paper.

I'd not be surprised if you weren't running into power issues with stability and availability.

Nov 1, 2020
Has the PC ever work properly or is this a recent problem?
Is the buzzing sound you mentioned very loud or just a faint buzzing?
Hey, this issue has been doing it ever since I got it which was Christmas of last year. I mean, my PC is freezing up (locking up) and whatever audio is playing is locking up too. So It just sounds like buzzing.

Nov 1, 2020
I'd be wondering about the psu. The PowerSpec is MicroCenter housebrand psu built by HighPower (Sirtec/Sirfa) and while that's a major psu OEM, they build to partner requirements. Since it's a pre-built, that means cutting costs wherever possible, just to stay competitive with ppl like HP and Lenovo etc.

Which explains a 750w psu with a Bronze efficiency rating. Specs say it's capable of the full 750w on the 12v rail, and it has the full range of protective circuitry etc, so on paper it's not too shabby, but a 13ms hold up time is a fail, atx standards is 16ms. So I'd hazard a guess it's got the cheapest possible caps, shortchanged abilities etc regardless of what's actually on the paper.

I'd not be surprised if you weren't running into power issues with stability and availability.
Do you think I should invest into a better 750W PSU then? I don't wanna spend the cash and It still happen...

Nov 1, 2020
maxresdefault.jpg