Question My PC is crashing whenever I try to run anything even kinda demanding (Cinebench, games, etc.)

Sep 23, 2019
It's not consistent but I wanted to see if I could get advice here. For example, I ran Fortnite for hours and was fine but I stop playing and come back (leaving my PC running) and it will have crashed. The last crash I literally booted it up and tried to open Cinebench (something I have done fine before) and it just stopped running. Any ideas what it might be? My first couple guesses would be CPU temp. or maybe Corsair iCUE. I think it's CPU related though. Here are my specs: CPU Ryzen 1700x (underclocked to 3.0GHz) cooled with a Wraith Stealth (it's underclocked bc of the CPU cooler) GTX 1080, 16GB of DDR4 3200 MHz Ram (Corsair Vengeance RGB pro), all on a ROG STRIX X-370 F GAMING MOBO. Temps rarely go over 70C but it will still crash. I've tested at 3.4 GHz and 3.2 GHz and 3.0 GHz. All of them eventually crash. When I ran Cinebench at 3.4 GHz the temps got around 80C but didn't crash the first time. Then, I ran it again and it crashed. Again, I can play Fortnite for hours at the 3.0 GHz setting and be fine. But, I open up Batman: Arkham Night and it crashes. I have a feeling its iCUE but have no proof other than when it crashes the lights on my keyboard mouse and ram freeze. But, IDK if that matters. Any help?

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the time of the PC crashes.

You can use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance during various situations.

I.e., just boot and watch, light work or gaming, heavy gaming/different games.

For the record, PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Has the PC ever been opened for maintenance and cleaning?

And if you think the problem may be related to iCUE then disable/uninstall and test without iCUE.

Sep 23, 2019
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes and warnings that correspond with the time of the PC crashes.

You can use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe system performance during various situations.

I.e., just boot and watch, light work or gaming, heavy gaming/different games.

For the record, PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Has the PC ever been opened for maintenance and cleaning?

And if you think the problem may be related to iCUE then disable/uninstall and test without iCUE.
It's a corsair CS 650w. I'm hoping its not the power supply. And the system is newly put together (no dust).

Ralston18

Titan
iCUE test?

Reliability History may provide some error codes and warnings related to the problem.

Likewise, you can use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance and perhaps discover some bottleneck with respect to available resources.

However, with overclocking involved I would lean towards a power problem.

Start without any overclocking and play long enough in several games to ensure that the system is stable.

Then configure the first overclocking step up and play again as before. Continue the process and be consistent within the overall process.

Remember you are troubleshooting and not playing to win per se.

Change only one thing at a time and test long enough to ensure that some other factor is not involved.