Question My PC is dead, showing no signs of life ? (maybe mobo 24 pin socket problem)

Martin_125

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2016
My PC was working normally yesterday. Today I tried to turn it on and there is absolutely nothing happening.
I checked the socket, cable and PSU. When doing PSU paper clip test, the fan started to spin normally and I also checked all the other pins with a multimeter and it all works fine.
I also checked the connection of the power button cable to the motherboard and bridged the two pins that should power on the PC, but again, nothing happened.

What would be the next step of troubleshooting?

D

Deleted member 362816

Paper clip test is not a sure way to check if the power supply is good or bad since the load that fans put is like 7-10 watts. Once it gets an actual load on it might be going into protect mode.

Reactions: Martin_125

Martin_125

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2016
Thank you all for helping!

I disconnected everything and did a visual inspection. The mobo looks OK front and back, I saw no damage whatsoever.
I connected the 24 pin connector to the mobo and the connector for CPU. I than bridged the same pins that if doing the paperclip test, but on the backside of the mobo - the fans of CPU and PSU started to spin! I would assume that the problem is in the socket for 24 pin connector on the mobo.
Thoughts?

MOBO: Gigabyte Z 170 K3 - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170-Gaming-K3-rev-10
RAM: 2x 8 GB DDR4
CPU: Intel i5 (sorry, dont know more details without dissembling)

Christophe516

Prominent
May 2, 2022
Thank you all for helping!

I disconnected everything and did a visual inspection. The mobo looks OK front and back, I saw no damage whatsoever.
I connected the 24 pin connector to the mobo and the connector for CPU. I than bridged the same pins that if doing the paperclip test, but on the backside of the mobo - the fans of CPU and PSU started to spin! I would assume that the problem is in the socket for 24 pin connector on the mobo.
Thoughts?

MOBO: Gigabyte Z 170 K3 - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170-Gaming-K3-rev-10
RAM: 2x 8 GB DDR4
CPU: Intel i5 (sorry, dont know more details without dissembling)
What about the plug from the wall/surge protector to the PSU? Is it secure at both ends?

TRENDING THREADS