Question My PC is falling apart completely after a hardware upgrade.. but why?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirTim

Honorable
Apr 30, 2015
Hi forum,

This has been an ongoing issue for months, and I cannot find out its cause. It has been happening ever since I upgraded the components below:
  • Intel Core i5-7600
  • Asus Prime B250-Plus Motherboard
  • Seagate Barracuda, 2TB HDD
  • 2x Crucial CT2K4G4DFS824A 4GB DDR4 RAM

My first thread was when my PC started to show me a BSOD at startup

As MemTest did not show any RAM errors, I made another thread which seems to have disappeared ever since. A kind member helped me out and was under the impression an unknown driver was causing errors.

It isn't just the BSOD at startup what's wrong with my PC now, so here is a list:
  • BSOD at startup, sometimes 2-3 before a correct boot
  • Unable to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 (minor issue, but I think linked to the bigger picture)
  • Random freezing:
    • Does not seem to have a cause
    • Seems to last less long (10 mins) on (visually?) less intensive programs, such as a browser or a small game
    • Sound keeps running (YouTube video plays all the way through, though screen is frozen, game audio is stuck in a ~10 second loop)
    • I wait it out now, when the PC unfreezes usually all applications are suddenly closed
    • When going through the BIOS it froze as well
    • A restart helps momentarily but the PC will freeze again. Waiting out the freeze will usually not cause another freeze
  • Steam suddenly thought two games were no longer installed, but when I tried to reinstall it found all game files
  • Windows is now unable to install an update (error code 0x80073712). It says some files needed by Windows Update are damaged or missing
  • Unable to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 ("There was a problem resetting your PC: no changes were made")
  • PC games have become hard to play recently because of short freezes of <0.5 seconds (sometimes longer). These are more likely to happen when shots/explosions happen, or when my character spawns.
  • I have tried to fix the BOSD by reinstalling my PC twice. Note that with these reinstalls my HDD was untouched (C: is on my SSD)
I am not a PC expert, but I would think that these issues are linked to a failing disk drive.
I really do hope you could help me out, as you can imagine the pain it is to work with my PC now.

Cheers!

SirTim

Honorable
Apr 30, 2015
  • HyperX Fury black HX426C15FBK2/8
  • Seasonic s12ii bronze 520 watt
  • MSI B250 PC MATE
Samsung 840 EVO
Seagate 2TB HDD
MSI GTX 1060 6GB
Intel i5 7600 3.5GhZ
HYPER 212 EVO

Last edited:
That is crazy. With that mobo, cpu, one stick of RAM, and the PSU you should at least get into the BIOS. There is a chance that the CPU is dead but that is very rare. Any chance to borrow or buy a super cheap 6th or 7th gen CPU to make sure that's not it? But, with everything else unplugged or new there aren't many options.

Mar 22, 2019
Hi forum,

This has been an ongoing issue for months, and I cannot find out its cause. It has been happening ever since I upgraded the components below:
  • Intel Core i5-7600
  • Asus Prime B250-Plus Motherboard
  • Seagate Barracuda, 2TB HDD
  • 2x Crucial CT2K4G4DFS824A 4GB DDR4 RAM
My first thread was when my PC started to show me a BSOD at startup

As MemTest did not show any RAM errors, I made another thread which seems to have disappeared ever since. A kind member helped me out and was under the impression an unknown driver was causing errors.

It isn't just the BSOD at startup what's wrong with my PC now, so here is a list:
  • BSOD at startup, sometimes 2-3 before a correct boot
  • Unable to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 (minor issue, but I think linked to the bigger picture)
  • Random freezing:
    • Does not seem to have a cause
    • Seems to last less long (10 mins) on (visually?) less intensive programs, such as a browser or a small game
    • Sound keeps running (YouTube video plays all the way through, though screen is frozen, game audio is stuck in a ~10 second loop)
    • I wait it out now, when the PC unfreezes usually all applications are suddenly closed
    • When going through the BIOS it froze as well
    • A restart helps momentarily but the PC will freeze again. Waiting out the freeze will usually not cause another freeze
  • Steam suddenly thought two games were no longer installed, but when I tried to reinstall it found all game files
  • Windows is now unable to install an update (error code 0x80073712). It says some files needed by Windows Update are damaged or missing
  • Unable to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 ("There was a problem resetting your PC: no changes were made")
  • PC games have become hard to play recently because of short freezes of <0.5 seconds (sometimes longer). These are more likely to happen when shots/explosions happen, or when my character spawns.
  • I have tried to fix the BOSD by reinstalling my PC twice. Note that with these reinstalls my HDD was untouched (C: is on my SSD)
I am not a PC expert, but I would think that these issues are linked to a failing disk drive.
I really do hope you could help me out, as you can imagine the pain it is to work with my PC now.

Cheers!

A lot of users already said this but this sounds like issues I had, I tired everything. The bios update is what fixed my issue.

SirTim

Honorable
Apr 30, 2015
That is crazy. With that mobo, cpu, one stick of RAM, and the PSU you should at least get into the BIOS. There is a chance that the CPU is dead but that is very rare. Any chance to borrow or buy a super cheap 6th or 7th gen CPU to make sure that's not it? But, with everything else unplugged or new there aren't many options.

I'll see if I can hop into a PC store and see they have anything I can test in my PC. Will keep you posted.

Reactions: J_E_D_70

SirTim

Honorable
Apr 30, 2015
The latest issue I had was due to shorting the MB because I did not change the position of the offset screws. So now that's out of the way...

I managed to boot up the PC with a new MB, but the loading screen remained, unfortunately. Three motherboards, new RAM, a new PSU and a new CPU did not do the trick, so one thing remained.

Yesterday I received my new Samsung 860 Evo SSD, which I just today installed windows on. All works.

Thanks a lot for the time and effort, and especially J_E_D_70 who stuck with me all this time.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.