Question My pc is getting restarted randomly after overclocking

andP

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
I had overclocked my i3 8350k (followed this guide) but i was experiencing pc restarting so i have reset the bios (also removed the cmos battery)

Note that The temperatures were fine.

Now even when i don't gaming the pc is occasionally getting restarted.. I have also removed the windows restarting option on system failure.

I don't know what to do, i am worried i have damaged anything. Please help me troubleshoot the issue. Note that my pc is 1 months old.

Last edited:
So, the reason your PC is restarting like that, is because your CPU OC isn't stable. You need to test to make sure it's stable.

What are you doing to test it? When OC'ing it's not just enough to dial in a setting and hope it works. OC'ing is a slow process to get the desired results.

List your full specs, and also what you've done to OC.

When OC'ing you need to monitor your HW on the fly using something like HWMon/Info. You also need to use stability testing software like Prime95/OCCT/Aida64 so you can stress your system and know it's stable. All the while monitoring your CPU temps.

andP

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
So, the reason your PC is restarting like that, is because your CPU OC isn't stable. You need to test to make sure it's stable.

What are you doing to test it? When OC'ing it's not just enough to dial in a setting and hope it works. OC'ing is a slow process to get the desired results.

List your full specs, and also what you've done to OC.

When OC'ing you need to monitor your HW on the fly using something like HWMon/Info. You also need to use stability testing software like Prime95/OCCT/Aida64 so you can stress your system and know it's stable. All the while monitoring your CPU temps.

Well i normally when resetting the bios the cpu should get back to the default factory settings. But it still gets random restarts. Btw speccy is showing false cpu. It's the i3 8350k.

GXwvrv3.png

Last edited:

andP

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Can you list your PC specs. CPU/ Mobo/Ram/PSU etc.

The CPU-z screen doesn't show me much I can't google.

Yes sorry i had sent you but it had issue it didn't show.

Operating System
Windows 10 Education 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i3 8350k @ 4.00GHz 28 °C
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z370P D3-CF (U3E1) 32 °C
Graphics
BenQ GW2280 (1920x1080@59Hz)
4096MB ATI Radeon RX 570 Series (Unknown) 34 °C
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM010-2EP102 (SATA ) 33 °C
465GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD)) 31 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio

Thanks. Can you download and run HWMon and post a screenshot of it at idle. Then try and run a task and take another screenshot and post it too?

In the meantime, make sure you have updated to the most recent bios for the Z370, system drivers, and GPU drivers too. Just to cover some bases :)

andP

Reputable
Jul 6, 2015
Thanks. Can you download and run HWMon and post a screenshot of it at idle. Then try and run a task and take another screenshot and post it too?

In the meantime, make sure you have updated to the most recent bios for the Z370, system drivers, and GPU drivers too. Just to cover some bases :)

This is while running chrome browser:

m0RZNEw.png