Question My PC is Melting :(

Jul 16, 2022
I'm in the process of buying parts to upgrade my PC but i'm freaking out that it's all for naught because my PC seems to be ruining itself for no reason. Let me just list what's going on.

1. When I start up my PC from sleep or reset, when I get to the Windows login page both of my monitors flash on and off twice, stay off for 2 seconds, and then come back on at seemingly a different brightness. No idea why that's happening and started a couple weeks back, I don't remember changing anything that started this. This is mostly just incredibly annoying but not actually impacting the usage of my PC.

2. Whenever my PC sleeps or resets or shuts down, my mic (and the headset plugged into the mic) turn off and I need to unplug and replug the mic into my USB port near the front of the PC (the case USB by the power button) in order for it to work again. This is very annoying because if I launch any application that uses mic it won't work and I have to close the app, unplug/replug the mic, and then relaunch the app. I've already gone into settings and turned off all the sleep and inactivity settings for USB ports and tried to turn my power saving settings off or to maximum performance but I can't seem to fix it.

3. My PC will randomly freeze and doesn't allow me to interact with the screen or anything, sometimes the power button won't even work so I have to turn off the PSU in order to reset it, which I absolutely hate doing. This started when I got a 3070ti so I'm assuming it's just a PSU issue with not enough power, I tried tweaking it to 120% consumption for GPU but it still happens time to time so I'm ASSUMING when I upgrade to a 1000W PSU it will fix this issue.

4. My RAM (2 sticks of G.Skill F4-3200C16-8GTZKW DDR4) is stuck at 1600 and will not go any higher even though I enabled XMP and manually set it to 3200 and enabled performance boost profile 2 and all these random things in BIOS. I am upgrading to 32gb of 4000mhz DDR4 so hopefully that just solves my problem, but in the meantime if someone knows what I'm possibly doing wrong I'd appreciate some trouble shooting. I have seen some talk about 1600 x 2 = 3200 for RAM speed but I don't think that is accurate because my roommate has 2 very similar sticks of 3200 DDR4 and his speed reads 3200 and not 1600.

5. My liquid cooler and MOBO used to flash a nice, serene, dark blue that would help me go to sleep and now my liquid cooler is stuck on a butt ugly red with my MOBO flashing a rainbow gradient but with everything else falling apart it's almost not even worth mentioning.

I currently have a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X as my CPU, NVIDIA RTX 3070ti as my GPU, an ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F as my MOBO, 2 sticks of G.Skill F4-3200C16-8GTZKW DDR4 as RAM, an 850W EVGA Silver rated PSU, a Cooler Master MasterLiquid CPU cooler, an NZXT H510 Tower as a case, and a Yeti Classic mic with a Logitech Pro headset.

Below I will list everything I plan on replacing in the next month or so to make my problems go away, please let me know if you think this is a good idea, bad idea, if some of my choices don't make sense, or if you have any input/advice at all. I'm trying to learn more about the parts and how my PC works but it's tiresome.

I am replacing the MOBO with a MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard, I am replacing my CPU with an AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-core, 24-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor, I am replacing my PSU with an EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT, 80 Plus Gold 1000W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with FDB Fan, I am being told to replace my liquid cooler since it's like 5 years old and I'm getting a new MOBO and CPU, I am replacing my case with a LIAN LI LANCOOL II MESH C RGB SNOW WHITE Tempered Glass ATX Case, and I'm pretty sure I'm replacing my RAM with G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 4000 (PC4 32000) for $185 but I think I only picked them because they look cool. I'm also considering 2 pairs of VENGENACE RGB PRO 16GB DDR4 DRAM 4000MHz AMD Ryzen for $85 each ($170) because it's for AMD and it's slightly cheaper, but I'm a little spooked by having 4 sticks, also they look more drab. This awesome guy at microcenter recommended the Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-4000 PC4-32000 CL18 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-4000C18D-32GVK but it's only $120 on NewEgg which is kind of sketching me out because, why would it be sooo much cheaper? Granted it is by far the least impressive looking but I have to wonder if the additional $60 is just purely for aesthetic or if there is also a performance difference.

Sorry for the absolutely enormous post, I really appreciate any and all help and input :)

TLDR: My PC is devolving so I'm replacing everything, but I'm nervous that some of the issues are going to carry over through the upgrade please help

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
First, what is the exact PSU you have now? I'm unfamiliar with any EVGA PSU having a Silver 80 Plus badge (Silver ones were always fairly uncommon). I'm quite worried that what you actually have is the white 80 Plus badge, which is quite concerning as EVGA does not have a plain 80 Plus badge that should ever even be turned on with a 3070 Ti, just literal junk like the EVGA W1.

Some of the stuff like RGB not cooperating sounds a bit like an OS issue. Have you tried a full reinstall?

Though don't do any of this if you have an EVGA W1 and you don't have a basic, cheaper GPU to put in other than that 3070 Ti.

Reactions: StickyHandJoe
Jul 16, 2022
First, what is the exact PSU you have now? I'm unfamiliar with any EVGA PSU having a Silver 80 Plus badge (Silver ones were always fairly uncommon). I'm quite worried that what you actually have is the white 80 Plus badge, which is quite concerning as EVGA does not have a plain 80 Plus badge that should ever even be turned on with a 3070 Ti, just literal junk like the EVGA W1.

Some of the stuff like RGB not cooperating sounds a bit like an OS issue. Have you tried a full reinstall?

Though don't do any of this if you have an EVGA W1 and you don't have a basic, cheaper GPU to put in other than that 3070 Ti.

Jeez thankfully you mentioned this, I was so far off on that PSU. A friend of mine ordered and picked it up for me since I was out of the country when I got my 3070ti but i just checked my BestBuy history and it is an EVGA - BQ Series 700W ATX12V/EPS12V Bronze Semi Modular Power supply . Do I unplug my PC and go mobile for the time being or what's the move?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Jeez thankfully you mentioned this, I was so far off on that PSU. A friend of mine ordered and picked it up for me since I was out of the country when I got my 3070ti but i just checked my BestBuy history and it is an EVGA - BQ Series 700W ATX12V/EPS12V Bronze Semi Modular Power supply . Do I unplug my PC and go mobile for the time being or what's the move?

That's a very cheap PSU, a fairly low-quality Andyson-made budget one. though less obviously dangerous than a W1 would be, it's something that should be used with far more basic rigs. Definitely should not be paired with a 3070 Ti. I'd probably take this friend's advice on computer components with a huge grain of salt.

Increasing the power limit is never a solution to a possible PSU issue; it's the equivalent of suspecting you're having a heart attack and deciding to go out for a nice jog!

Freezing is very frequently PSU or temperatures and has to be eliminated as a cause with a known good PSU or fixes in cooling solution.

That's by far the most serious behavior here. Was this a fresh install of Windows?

I think it's best to go one thing at a time and try to resolve this. First, a proper PSU. Then re-evaluate and tackle the remaining issues with things like testing the RAM.

Jul 16, 2022
That's a very cheap PSU, a fairly low-quality Andyson-made budget one. though less obviously dangerous than a W1 would be, it's something that should be used with far more basic rigs. Definitely should not be paired with a 3070 Ti. I'd probably take this friend's advice on computer components with a huge grain of salt.

Increasing the power limit is never a solution to a possible PSU issue; it's the equivalent of suspecting you're having a heart attack and deciding to go out for a nice jog!

Freezing is very frequently PSU or temperatures and has to be eliminated as a cause with a known good PSU or fixes in cooling solution.

That's by far the most serious behavior here. Was this a fresh install of Windows?

I think it's best to go one thing at a time and try to resolve this. First, a proper PSU. Then re-evaluate and tackle the remaining issues with things like testing the RAM.

Okay for sure this is very helpful, any improvements you would make to my shopping list or should I just buy all the parts, replace everything, and then see if the issues disappear? I don't think I would just buy the PSU since I know for sure I need to replace the MOBO for my new CPU which I grabbed on prime day.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Okay for sure this is very helpful, any improvements you would make to my shopping list or should I just buy all the parts, replace everything, and then see if the issues disappear? I don't think I would just buy the PSU since I know for sure I need to replace the MOBO for my new CPU which I grabbed on prime day.

Honestly, while it's more efficient to get everything at once, it would be useful to just swap out the PSU so we can isolate the issue as best we can.

Jul 16, 2022
Honestly, while it's more efficient to get everything at once, it would be useful to just swap out the PSU so we can isolate the issue as best we can.
OK so honestly when the parts come I can just throw the new PSU in the OLD PC and see if it fixes everything? Thinking it over, couldn't the screen flickering, freezing, and USB power all be a PSU issue? I upgraded from a 550 to a 700 and maybe that just wasnt enough to support the 3070ti?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
OK so honestly when the parts come I can just throw the new PSU in the OLD PC and see if it fixes everything? Thinking it over, couldn't the screen flickering, freezing, and USB power all be a PSU issue? I upgraded from a 550 to a 700 and maybe that just wasnt enough to support the 3070ti?

The problem with the BQ is a quality problem, not a wattage problem.

PSUs are less likely to cause the other symptoms except indirectly when they've caused damage to a component.

Oh, and make sure not to re-use any modular cables.

Concerning the RAM the ddr part is correct.
You have RAM that functions at 1600 mhz, with a throughput of 3200 MT/S.
This problem is misunderstood by many people, and entirelly due to the fact that the manufacturers always understood that bigger is better, so used the bigger numbers but with a wrong unit that people were supposed to be familiar with. That is slowly changing.

At the support page it is correctly labelled
https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/168/1536200187/F4-3200C16D-8GTZB-Specification

Last edited: