My pc is not preforming as it should gtx 1080ti amd ryzen 1800x 32gb 3000mhz ram

Jul 4, 2018
Hello guys and thanks in advance for clicking on this post,
I have a major issue with my custom build where i tested frame rates.
when i first built it only 7 months ago i used to play battlefield 1 in 4k (3840x2160) at around 60fps, thats fantastic,
i have upgraded now acer predator z35 its a wide screen 1080p monitor 144 hz however i was dissapointed to be hitting only 60fps even though its only 1080p i have tried again to use my 4k monitor and i now i only receive 25-30 fps! thats unnaceptable especially for a gtx 1080ti 11gb,
i have tested other games that were giving similar results that were very underwhelming and unproductive. i tested older games and was still getting very unproductive results.
my specs are as follows
gpu- gigabyte gtx 1080ti 11gb
cpu- amd ryzen 1800x overclocked to 4.1ghz
ram 32 GB corair vengence 3000mh ram
motherboard-msi x370 platinum motherboard
pus- corsair rm 850x
custom water loop for cpu only.
few other things to note as well
i have had a power surge in my house that didnt seemingly do any damage to the pc visualy
i was forced to update bios to the latest version because the old bios didnt let me even launch into windows
my temperatures in game are low gpu is max 70 degrees at full load
cpu is only about 50 degrees thanks to my huge liquid tank
i have been told that intel is better for gaming but i should definetly have better results even with amd ryzen.
thanks to everyone in advance

Solution

Reset your motherboard BIOS to factory settings (default and/or everything set to "Auto" in BIOS settings). You may need to take the coin battery out to do that depending on if you have or don't have a hard BIOS reset option jumper or switch on the motherboard itself. Do the same...
You must have V-sync tirned on somewhere. Either in games settings for each game or through the Nvidia control panel - Globa/Game settings. Maybe you changed it to adaptive refresh or half or something.

The difference between Intel and AMD at 4k is practically zero. As at that res it's all about the GPU. However, at 1080p 144hz, it's different. An I7 8700k will pump more FPS from the 1080ti at that res than the 1800x. Don't worry about it. It's normal. With that said though your still gonna hit 144hz (in most games) at 1080p 144hz with the 1800x/1080ti Combo.

I think it's just a software setting that's causing the issue. Also if you use Geforce Experience. Don't it's a turkey of an app, and has a way of crippling games even, with high end hardware.

Jul 4, 2018

Hello and thank you so much for your reply!
i have checked geforce experience and it is not optimising any of my games,
i have also checked my V-sinc and it's disabled everywhere.
i have turned off all of geeforce experiences overlays and still no change :(
bf1 in 4k 25-30fps
bf in 2560-1080 (widescreen 1080p) 60-70fps

Something happened in your BIOS update between the video card drivers and Windows. Simply changing monitor resolutions would not do that. Do a clean driver sweep of Nvidia drivers and re-install from scratch directly from the website to the latest drivers. I assume by forced BIOS update you are referring to your motherboard, not your video card. But I run GFE just fine with MSI Afterburner as my overclocking/monitoring GPU controlling program, so not sure if you use that or Nvidia's Precision-X.

Your PSU is high quality so I'd not suspect that even after a power surge. It has enough built in protection even if your PC is directly connected to the wall and not to an active UPS.

Jul 4, 2018

Hello and thank you so much for your help!
so i have done as you said and i believe it might have fixed the issue however now whenever i load the game my entire pc freezes and is non responsive. i think my gpu was underclocked and now when its on its proper settings so 1500mhzand 5508mhz memory clock maybe the power supply is dying out? because before i believe it was only at 600mhz however i have not overclocked my card at all its on standard settings

Jul 4, 2018

thank you so much for your reply, this is possible however i dont know how likely as its pluged into a splitter with surge protection :)

Reset your motherboard BIOS to factory settings (default and/or everything set to "Auto" in BIOS settings). You may need to take the coin battery out to do that depending on if you have or don't have a hard BIOS reset option jumper or switch on the motherboard itself. Do the same with the video card, but do the video card first in resetting to factory spec speed.

If you still have the same problem then you might have a hardware failure somewhere and that can be much harder to diagnose between the PSU, motherboard, CPU, memory, and graphics card itself. I would not rule out something wrong with the PSU for sure. Especially after a power spike/brownout you might not have even noticed. You really need a UPS to keep things powered up, not just surge protection during power issues from the wall.

Solution
Jul 4, 2018

thank you for all your help,
i will do that as soon as i can an will update you on how it goes i think it could be as simple as my cpu overclock being unstable especialy since all hardware is only 7 months old and yes definetly i need to look into getting a ups too ive been recomended this before so i will definetly look into it :)

One other thought. Remove the GPU and run the computer just with onboard Intel graphics and see what happens (make sure to plug the monitor into the motherboard's video output). If it boots up and runs fine, then you may very well have a power supply problem. Do the same with the memory. Take one stick out at a time and see if each work independently among various slots (see manual on installing single sticks for placement) to rule out you have a bad memory stick or bad memory slot. This is basic trouble shooting to start narrowing down hardware problems.

Good luck!

Jul 4, 2018

the gpu is a good shout but just this morning i tested all my ram sticks due to me having an earlier issue with system reserved ram that i have resolved, but i will definitely try the GPU mechanic its a good way to test power problems
Thank you very much! :)