My pc is not working

kuhani

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015
Hello guys! I have a problem for 2 months. I turn on my pc and it makes 1 long beep and 3 shorter and I have no display. If I restart it more times it works but not every time. Tonight it stopped working at all.
Thanks for helping!

Solution

Then can you test another power supply? If it doesn't work even with different power supply, your motherboard is dead.

kuhani

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015

My motherboard is 6 or 7 years old... I forgot to mention about having an old pc... I don't have the manual anymore but i think i'll find it on internet... I wait another oppinions.

Most motherboards have standardized signal luckily.

1 long and 3 short beeps means:
"You've probably just added memory to the motherboard since this is a conventional or extended memory failure. Generally this is caused by a memory chip that is not seated properly. Reseat the memory chips. "

So one of your RAM sticks has probably failed.

kuhani

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015

I already reinstalled them but no results. And i tested them on another pc and they works... I changed the gpu too but it still beeps.

Then can you test another power supply? If it doesn't work even with different power supply, your motherboard is dead.

Solution

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Can you recall making any hardware changes before the problems started? If you can't decipher the beep codes the best way to troubleshoot is through the process of elimination by figuring out which components are NOT bad. I would start with the RAM... Using one stick at a time. I would also double check to verify that you have the correct timings set up for your RAM. A few months ago I upgraded my BIOS and after restarting my computer... it crashed. It turned out I forgot to go back into my BIOS and re-entering the Timings for my RAM. That would cause a computer to crash.. as well as the wrong voltage settings.

You said you changed the GPU but still had the same problem. Does your motherboard have integrated graphics? If so, I would try to use that to see if it works... If your computer boots up without any problems then it's possible there's a problem with your PCI slot (or setting in BIOS).

kuhani

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015

I have another power supply but it's too hard to move it so, I can use an instrumentation and control equipment which measures volts and if i have volts it means my actually power supply works. So if i have volts my motherboard is dead right?

That's right. You do know how to start the PSU up, I presume?

kuhani

Reputable
Apr 29, 2015

I tested it and i have volts on psu, so i have to change my motherboard. Thanks for help!