[SOLVED] My pc is old i wanted to make it better

Jun 8, 2019
I have right GTX 295 and core i7 920 1th gen so i wanted to upgrade it so i will buy GTX 1050 2gb and msi MPG Z390 motherboared but i dont have more money to buy other cpu... Does it matter if i buy these 2 things without buying a new cpu (reminder: my cpu is core i7 920 1th gen??)

Solution
So now wut should i only buy the mobo and GPU?
There is no point in buying a motherboard if you have no compatible CPU or RAM to put on it so you can actually use it. If you get a defective motherboard, you won't find out until you get the CPU and memory, by which point your return window will have expired and you'll have to go through the RMA process with the manufacturer. Wait until you can buy all three at once so you don't get stranded in this situation.
Yes, it matters. You will need a new CPU and ram to go along with the new mobo.

Also, if you were to only buy the GTX1050ti and put it into your current system you may have issues running the more modern card. The reason is that the old mobo's don't have a UEFI bios which is often required to be able to use any new GPU, specially the GTX10xx series from Nvidia, and the RX4xx/5xx from AMD.

What is your current mobo model?

Reactions: DUAL33s
GTX 1050 ti is not that much better than GTX 295. May be ~30% more performance. Such upgrade is not worth it.
For gpu upgrade I wouldn't recommend going for anything less than GTX 1660.
Also i7-920 is still decent lower mid range cpu (4cores/8threads).

You could upgrade ram to 16GB (if currently it is less).
You could get SSD for your system.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
GTX 1050 ti is not that much better than GTX 295. May be ~30% more performance. Such upgrade is not worth it.
For gpu upgrade I wouldn't recommend going for anything less than GTX 1660.
Also i7-920 is still decent lower mid range cpu (4cores/8threads).

You could upgrade ram to 16GB (if currently it is less).
You could get SSD for your system.
Not true, a GTX 1050 Ti is a massive upgrade over a DirectX 10 GTX 295. My 750 Ti smoked a 9800 GX2 I used to have, especially when most games don't support DirectX10 or SLI anymore.

InvalidError

Titan
So now wut should i only buy the mobo and GPU?
There is no point in buying a motherboard if you have no compatible CPU or RAM to put on it so you can actually use it. If you get a defective motherboard, you won't find out until you get the CPU and memory, by which point your return window will have expired and you'll have to go through the RMA process with the manufacturer. Wait until you can buy all three at once so you don't get stranded in this situation.

Reactions: DUAL33s
Solution

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
true but that old CPU will cause a massive bottleneck in his system...
Assuming this person is upgrading the rest of their system eventually I wouldn't worry about it. A 1050 is about the same as a GTX 680 in terms of performance, and in this specific case they are gaining support for not only DirectX 11 (!!!), but DirectX 12. A GTX 295 is 10 years old and doesn't even have driver support anymore