My PC is randomly crashing

Apr 16, 2018
So I built my first PC a few months ago (mid January) and within the last few weeks I've started to experience an issue. At random times during random processes my PC will shut down. The monitors (there are 2) will go black and after a few seconds enter sleep mode. The keyboard and mouse become unresponsive and the RGB settings I have for the case fans will revert back to the default. All the fans, CPU and case, continue to run and so does the RGB on the fans and MOBO. When I attempt to either power on/off or reset the system I get no response from the buttons on the case. The PC will never shut off unless I reset the PSU.

The only thing I can recall doing was installing the new fans and controller, Corsair LL120 with lighting node pro. The random resets happened almost 2 weeks after installing.

So far I've attempted the following:

- Ran tests on the RAM (windows test and memtest86) with no errors
- Ran stress test on the GPU with no signs of overheating (stays in the low to mid 70's at the hottest)
- Reinstalled windows
- Unistalled, reinstalled, updated, and gone back a version for the Nvidia GPU drivers
- updated the bios, cleared CMOS
- Unplugged and plugged back in
- Monitored the PSU voltages - stayed withing the expected ranges according to what
- Checked the physical connections within the system to make sure nothing was loose.

Parts list:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/z4PNq4

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600
Cooler: Noctua L
Motherboard: Asus STRIX B350-F (BIOS Version 3805)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x8 (16GB) 3000
PSU: Thermaltake toughpower grand 750w 80+ Gold

I've gone through Asus and followed their instructions. At this point they have advised me to RMA it. Before I did that and was without my PC for who knows how long I figured I'd reach out to this community for some guidance!

Thanks in advance for the help

Apr 16, 2018

Thanks, updating now. Will follow up if I have any issues

Maybe.
But you check go into the BIOS, hardware monitor or PC health monitor section, check the +3.3V, +5V, and +12V. You want to see those voltages are within +/-5%. eg for +3.3V, it should be within +3.1 to +3.45V. If they are the PSU is fine.

Also set the RAM speed down little bit to 2800mhz, or 2900mhz to see what happens. Even may consider to update the BIOS to the newer one, 4009. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B350-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
From another topic,
source: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3519159/random-system-crash-restart-bsod-overheating.html

Your issue is completely different since you'll loose signal to your monitors and your peripherals don't respond while the system itself stays running. If it were your PSU issue, you'd loose all power for your PC, either for momentarily where your system reboots or for longer period of time where your system shuts down completely. Oh, your PSU is also good quality unit and i don't think it's the culprit here.

No monitor signal issues are usually caused by conflicting software. What that conflicting software could be, i have no idea but Win 10 updates are notorious in messing up users PCs.
Though, it could also be a hardware issue where your MoBo or GPU doesn't want to play ball.

Since you have a Ryzen system, you can't easily test if it's the GPU issue by pulling the GPU out and using iGPU which is common for Intel CPUs. To test GPU though, you need to use replacement GPU.

Apr 16, 2018

Hm okay. I did just replace the MoBo. It is the same model, but I figured I could at least rule that out. I'll have to try and get my hands on another GPU to see if that is the culprit.

The strangest part for me is sometimes my PC will reset on its own, other times it will stay in that half powered on state with the RGB's and fans all running, but monitors and peripherals are not.

Thanks for checking this out for me, I appreciate the assistance.

Apr 16, 2018
I've monitored the voltages from the PSU and all are staying in the +/-5% range during various tasks.

One thing I did change was switching back to an older keyboard. I recently purchased a refurbished Corsair K65 and I'm wondering if maybe some of the corsair software might be causing the issues. I've yet to uninstall the software (Link and Utility Engine), but I've also yet to have a crash in the last 2 days.

I'll update if I get another crash/with any other findings I come across

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'm also using Corsair Link, Corsair CUE and even Corsair CEE with 5x RGB Corsair peripherals that i have and for me, all those three programs work without issues. Though, they can cause issues. For example, i'm getting the no signal to monitor issue with the latest MSI Gaming App while the older version of the same program works just fine. Then again, MSI Gaming App controls GPU and not the peripherals.

Apr 16, 2018
Initially I had no issues with the refurbished K65 and using CUE and Link.

Since switching back to my redragon keyboard I've yet to have a crash. I'm going to give it about a week using this keyboard to determine if that is the actually cause or not. Then I'll switch back to the corsair and try uninstalling/reinstalling the corsair software. See if maybe it's a software issue instead of the hardware. Hopefully its as simple as that!

Thanks again for all the help