[SOLVED] My PC is Randomly turning off (ASUS Anti-Surge problem, faulty PSU?)

HarryGRGamer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2014
Hey there.
So, while I was casually gaming tonight until my PC suddenly turned off, It happened twice this evening when it restarted to the BIOS screen for me to press F1 it popped up with a message saying "power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply" Could it be because of my PSU? It's a VS550 from Corsair I did read from a lot of forums that it's not that efficient (being a low tier psu) and plus I bought it back in 2013. I did also read before posting this, that it could be also from some USB devices connected to the PC, or that you could deactivate the Anti-Surge protection from the BIOS because it might also be a false alarm (Haven't tried that one yet)

My specs are
CPU:I7-3770 (Did a diagnostic run from Intel's software that they have on their website, it passed with green lights)
GPU:GTX 970
Motherboard: An Asus p8h61-m lx3 r2.0 plus
One SSD and two HDD's (Both seem to be Good, based on the CrystalDiskInfo software)

I really don't know what is causing this Anti-Surge error, my guess is that my PSU may have passed its life cycle, I might be wrong though Any help would be useful Thanks in advance as always!

Here's a screenshot: http://prntscr.com/lzv8um

Dec 11, 2018
6 years is a plenty long life for a power supply. Especially for a budget model. Not to mention the fact that, and this is just my opinion, you're right on the edge as far as where you should be in available power. I would replace it, and I would move to a 650 or 750 watt quality power supply.

And this is just a right field recommendation, but 1 TB SSD's are less than $150 (having come down in price over $100 in the past year) now. Ditch your regular HD's. It's crazy-worth the cost now (I wouldn't have said this on this date last year). I have a 500gb M.2 and a 1 TB SATA SSD in this laptop now, and the desktop has a 500gb M.2 and 2x 1tb SSD's in RAID 0. The performance is enough to blow your hair off. Not to mention the elimination of 3.5" HD's from my tower has allowed me to move to a smaller case which is now mounted on my living room wall. Long live the SSD!

HarryGRGamer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2014

I'm thinking that's the case too, but I've read many forums saying that it's just a False alarm by ASUS. However I've had the PSU since 2013 and I've never dealt with this problem before