Question My pc is shuting off coz high temps while playing

Apr 24, 2020
Hello guys, first my specs:

MOTHERBOARD: Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0
GPU: radeon rx 580
CPU: Fx 8350 (I have it underclocked at 3.5 instead of 4ghz to reduce heat); has stock fans
CASE: idk the name, its sentey that has 1 big fan at the front and 1 at the side (the one in the front takes air in and the side one took air in and I inverted it to take away that air because it made temps higher) (change thermal paste like 2 weeks ago)
POWER SUPPLY: sentey 750w
RAM: 4 + 4 gb gskill (dont remember the frec)

second, my temps volages and such (not playing):
h14FIFT.png

I've been reading about other ppl getting high temps with the fx 8350, when I play It reaches like >80°c and after that it shuts off so I dont see where it gets.
Not every game shuts down my pc but almost all games get past 62°c on the cpu (and that should be the highest temp under load, but it isnt).

btw I dont have money to change anything sadly, I wish I could get rid of this 8350 but since its ddr3 I have to change the mobo and ram too. Plus i'm from Argentina so everything is extremly overpriced (some cpu coolers, like all "cool'n'quiet" are way costier than my gpu)

edit: my room isnt hot + I have 1 extra fan in front of my rig to let some cool air in + roof fan
every game that reachers 100% cpu usage (all of them, low needs game like dead island and high needs like nioh, cod wz, just cause 4, etc)

Any solutions or anything at this point is appreciated.
-Dr.Raz

Last edited:

G_Sanderat

Honorable
Jan 17, 2017
When it comes to cooling, Stock is almost never the answer. It doesn't matter if it's cpu or case fans, most of the time it is a good idea to change those or add more if there are cooling issues. Sometimes cases come with good fans, but hardly ever enough for optimal airflow. While this doesn't matter for most people, sometimes having the best airflow possible is needed.

when it comes to fans, a good choice is to go noctua. They aren't always the most aesthetically pleasing, but they sure can get the job done. Be quiet! NZXT and Corsair are all good fan choices.

If it is a struggle to upgrade any parts, which I get, you can always find any fan to add to the case, weather you harvest it from an old pc or buy one for really cheap, more airflow is better than none. Just make sure you have a way to power this new fan.

when it comes to cpu cooler, if you are using the stock AMD cooler and experience high temps I recommend changing the cooler on that. even upgrading to the new stock wraith cooler from the ryzen processors can help if you can find the cooler and a suitable mounting bracket. AMD has done a good job on their new coolers. But if you ever get a chance, all the brands listed above are also good choices to look into, as well as a cooler master hyper 212, a good choice for an inexpensive cpu cooler.

If all else fails you can try to find the coolest area in your house, or even take the side panel off completely to offer more air, but this is only if you really need, lots of dust can easily get in there. so be careful!

Apr 24, 2020
When it comes to cooling, Stock is almost never the answer. It doesn't matter if it's cpu or case fans, most of the time it is a good idea to change those or add more if there are cooling issues. Sometimes cases come with good fans, but hardly ever enough for optimal airflow. While this doesn't matter for most people, sometimes having the best airflow possible is needed.

when it comes to fans, a good choice is to go noctua. They aren't always the most aesthetically pleasing, but they sure can get the job done. Be quiet! NZXT and Corsair are all good fan choices.

If it is a struggle to upgrade any parts, which I get, you can always find any fan to add to the case, weather you harvest it from an old pc or buy one for really cheap, more airflow is better than none. Just make sure you have a way to power this new fan.

when it comes to cpu cooler, if you are using the stock AMD cooler and experience high temps I recommend changing the cooler on that. even upgrading to the new stock wraith cooler from the ryzen processors can help if you can find the cooler and a suitable mounting bracket. AMD has done a good job on their new coolers. But if you ever get a chance, all the brands listed above are also good choices to look into, as well as a cooler master hyper 212, a good choice for an inexpensive cpu cooler.

If all else fails you can try to find the coolest area in your house, or even take the side panel off completely to offer more air, but this is only if you really need, lots of dust can easily get in there. so be careful!

Hello, thanks for the answer. I was hoping something like "ur vcore voltage is too high for that clock, lower it to make it overheat less" or something like that really. I removed the side panel + removed the dust.

The thing is that it should work fine with stock cooler, I mean its not even working at base clock, my room is like the coolest in the house, removed the side panel, have more coolers, have some fans around. Thats why I think it has to be something in the bios that is making it overheat

G_Sanderat

Honorable
Jan 17, 2017
Hello, thanks for the answer. I was hoping something like "ur vcore voltage is too high for that clock, lower it to make it overheat less" or something like that really. I removed the side panel + removed the dust.

The thing is that it should work fine with stock cooler, I mean its not even working at base clock, my room is like the coolest in the house, removed the side panel, have more coolers, have some fans around. Thats why I think it has to be something in the bios that is making it overheat
when it comes to the fx8350 it tends to be a bit on the toasty side, and dropping the vcore - to a safe level - can help with heating issues, but .8 - 1.2 v seems like it should be a good level, although I did notice that you mentioned that is while not playing, so maybe that is a factor to look into.
If you are looking to lower the vcore, a way that I've heard other people tinker with this is to keep lowering it until your system crashes under load. Once you've done that raise the voltage by .001 until you are at a good level.

As for the cooling solution, the stock cooler can be adequate but finding a better aftermarket cooler can help with cooling performance. also after looking at the screenshot again it looks like none of the fans are reporting their actual speed, but cranking those up can help too, as well as pushing the CPU fan faster. more airflow the better.

Be safe and good luck!

Reactions: Dr.Razadyne
Apr 24, 2020
Thank you for your help, Im going to do the under voltage thing (but its going to toll on perfomance tho isnt it?) and see what happens and increase stock cooler speed meanwhile I save for a Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo or 212X (wich is more than half the price of a noctua here on Argentina)

Reactions: p1nkm0nk
Apr 28, 2020
Thank you for your help, Im going to do the under voltage thing (but its going to toll on perfomance tho isnt it?) and see what happens and increase stock cooler speed meanwhile I save for a Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo or 212X (wich is more than half the price of a noctua here on Argentina)
I'm looking at the CM 212 too. The stock wraith stealth cooler on my Ryzen 5 3600 doesn't seem to do the job when playing COD. I've had it crash twice. I have 6 case fans, 3 in 3 out, but it still goes way up in temp. Everything i've read says the stealth cooler isn't quite good enough for the hot Ryzen chip.

G_Sanderat

Honorable
Jan 17, 2017
I'm looking at the CM 212 too. The stock wraith stealth cooler on my Ryzen 5 3600 doesn't seem to do the job when playing COD. I've had it crash twice. I have 6 case fans, 3 in 3 out, but it still goes way up in temp. Everything i've read says the stealth cooler isn't quite good enough for the hot Ryzen chip.
I'm currently running a Ryzen 5 3600 with a coolermaster 212 series cooler. Although I don't play COD, it still treats me well giving me good temps and lets me chug along through the day.

Reactions: p1nkm0nk