[SOLVED] My PC is shutting off while gaming and won't stay on when I reboot.

Jul 30, 2019
Hey I'm new here so please bare with me. Recently I have been taking a dive into FFXIV and have been playing pretty much everyday for 8 -10 hours. Just a few days a go my computer randomly shut off when I was playing. When I tried to restart, by pressing the power button, it turns on for about 1-3 seconds then shuts off and repeatedly does this. I original thought it was my power supply so I got a new one, see below. This did not fix it so I decided to tare the computer apart and test the basic components. I tested with just my ram, cpu, and power supply with a stock heatsink, just in case the AIO was the problem. It did not work at first; however, I reinstalled the RAM three times and eventually it started working again. I thought I fixed it since it booted up like it was back to normal; however, after about 5 hours of ffxiv the computer shut off again. I was keeping an eye on my CPU temp periodically, through software called Core Temp, when I was playing and about 30 minutes to an hour before it shut off it was reading approximately 51-55 degrees in all cores with ffxiv and chrome open only. I don't really know what could be the problem at this point. My only guess is temperature and air flow is the problem. Please let me know what you think and if yall need more info from me. Thanks ahead of time!

P.S. I don't know the temp of my graphics card at the time. Sorry about that.

Specs:
Case = Corsair Carbide air 240
CPU = intel i7 4790
Motherboard = gigabyte z97mx gaming 5
RAM = 16gb GDDR 3 Vengence RAM
GPU = Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970
Old PSU = Corsair CX 750
New PSU = Evga Supernova 750 G+
AIO = Corsair H100i
Storage 1 = 1 TB WD Blue
Storage 2 & Boot Drive = 2 Kingston 250gb SSD

Solution
Another item that can cause a shut-down after long heavy use is the graphics card. If it overheats it may shut you down and wait until it is cool before allowing a re-start. So monitor the graphics card temperatures, too, using the utility that came with it.
Jul 30, 2019
I have had a similar issue to this in the past and mine was my CPU was spiking in temperature and my PC would instantly shut down as soon as it hit 99 celsius, have you got another CPU you could use for testing to see if the pc turns off under load? this would rule out the CPU indefinitely.

If so I would recommend giving that a go.

Jul 30, 2019
I have had a similar issue to this in the past and mine was my CPU was spiking in temperature and my PC would instantly shut down as soon as it hit 99 celsius, have you got another CPU you could use for testing to see if the pc turns off under load? this would rule out the CPU indefinitely.

If so I would recommend giving that a go.
Unfortunately I don't but I'll see if I can find one.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Another item that can cause a shut-down after long heavy use is the graphics card. If it overheats it may shut you down and wait until it is cool before allowing a re-start. So monitor the graphics card temperatures, too, using the utility that came with it.

Solution