My PC is slow but has good specs?

blakeholbrook21

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
So I recently built my first gaming PC about a week ago. For the first few days,it was running like a dream. Now it's been slower than my last computer, which had very old parts. My specs are: AMD FX 8320, EVGA GTX 960 SC, G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 1x8 GB, my old HDD and my old PSU, and the ASRock 980DE3/U3S3. I've already tried Avast, Malwarebytes, SlimCleaner, and Iobit Advanced Systemcare and there's no viruses or malware and my drivers are up to date.

Solution
I'd recommend a new drive just for the fact it's 5400rpm. That's far too slow for a desktop. 7200rpm is much faster and there could be issues with the drive. A 7200rpm 1tb only runs around $50.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Are you using the same operating system from your old computer? Or in other words you didn't do a fresh install of windows on the new pc? If you didn't thats your problem, your lucky it works at all the drivers for your hardware are all going to be wrong

blakeholbrook21

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015
It says Google Chrome is using the most, but there are four Chromes on the list when I have one tab open. For the CPU tab thing, the top Chrome takes 12-31 CPU. I'm not sure what that means. Also, I did do a fresh install but it was used with a disk that isn't exactly legal haha. But that same disk was used to install Windows on my old pc.

Chrome is very RAM hungry, so it will eat 8Gb quick, that will then cause games and other stuff run slow since you are maxing out.
Also, since you have only 1 stick, you don't have the dual channel, which is faster than a single channel.

blakeholbrook21

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015

I'm running around 46 Celsius on my CPU, around 64 Celsius on my GPU.

The ram shouldn't be an issue unless it's a bad stick or something. I can run 40-50 tabs or more in chrome without eating more than about 4gb. If the ram's eaten up while gaming then yes, that could cause the issue. Look at task manager and see what ram usage is. If it's 7.5gb or more out of 8gb then it's probably ram size limitations. Otherwise it could be the hdd or something else.

blakeholbrook21

Reputable
Jun 22, 2015

The RAM is fine. I believe it could be the HDD because it's quite old and the RPM is 5400.