[SOLVED] My PC is slow but has really good specs?

Oct 17, 2019
So, I have pretty good specs on my computer, but I feel like I'm not getting the fps I'm supposed to.

When I play a game such as League of Legend, which Isn't really a demanding game, I average at around just over 100 fps on the lowest settings possible.
My friend who's using a 1060 with an older cpu (i-7 or i-5) easily gets that on the highest settings possible.

I won't be able to open up the computer myself, since I got it pre-built by a company, and if I open it up, there will be a problem with the warranty.
I did however send the pc up to the manufactures, but they're just saying that everything is as it should be.

I've made sure that all my drivers are up to date and that all the needed software is installed.
I've made sure that the computer is clean inside.

Is there anything i'm overlooking?

Here's my hardware

Main Monitor - ASUS ROG SWIFT PG258Q

Second Monitor - ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278QR

Case - NZXT Noctis 450

CPU - Intel Core i9-7960X Skylake-X

GPU - 2X EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW in SLI

Ram - G.Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3866 C18 QC - 32GB

Motherboard - ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE

Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 v2

Sound Card - ASUS Essence STX II

Cooler - NZXT Kraken X72 RGB

Storage - Samsung 970 PRO SSD M.2 2280 512GB
2X Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD - 1TB
2X Seagate BarraCuda 3.5" ST2000DM006 Hard Disc - 2 TB.

Solution
First of all, no, there WON'T be a problem with the warranty, if you are in the USA anyhow. Those "Warranty void if removed" stickers are not legal anymore, in most major countries as well. Companies using those could find themselves at the losing end of a legal action for trying to enforce them, or for using them in the first place.

Secondly, you'd probably get better performance using just a single graphics card, because there are practically no games that offer profile support for SLI or Crossfire anymore, and trying to use SLI with a game that doesn't actually have driver support for it can result in worse performance than with a single card.

I'd make sure you have the latest network and audio drivers installed from the ASUS X299...

Shanklesbread

Honorable
May 23, 2017
Yeah, you should not be getting those astronomically low framerates for LoL.

try setting your default display adapter to your video cards, Windows could be running everything off of the CPU.

First of all, no, there WON'T be a problem with the warranty, if you are in the USA anyhow. Those "Warranty void if removed" stickers are not legal anymore, in most major countries as well. Companies using those could find themselves at the losing end of a legal action for trying to enforce them, or for using them in the first place.

Secondly, you'd probably get better performance using just a single graphics card, because there are practically no games that offer profile support for SLI or Crossfire anymore, and trying to use SLI with a game that doesn't actually have driver support for it can result in worse performance than with a single card.

I'd make sure you have the latest network and audio drivers installed from the ASUS X299 Deluxe motherboard product page as well as the chipset driver available here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28182/Chipset-INF-Utility?product=122941

I'd also do a clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers, using the DDU. I don't believe the clean install offered by the Nvidia driver executable offers the same level of thoroughness as the DDU does.

Also, make SURE that you have your display cables connected to the graphics card that is installed in the primary PCIe x16 slot, which is the closest long one to the CPU, and not connected to the motherboard video output or the output on the secondary card.

Solution
Oct 17, 2019

I'd make sure you have the latest network and audio drivers installed from the ASUS X299 Deluxe motherboard product page as well as the chipset driver available here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28182/Chipset-INF-Utility?product=122941

I'd also do a clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers, using the DDU. I don't believe the clean install offered by the Nvidia driver executable offers the same level of thoroughness as the DDU does.

Also, make SURE that you have your display cables connected to the graphics card that is installed in the primary PCIe x16 slot, which is the closest long one to the CPU, and not connected to the motherboard video output or the output on the secondary card.

I made sure to install the latest drivers that you sent, and i'm still having the same problem. I also did a fresh install of the Nvidia drivers using DDu, and it's still the same.
I had my friend go on AnyDesk to see if he could spot the problem, and he opened EVGA Precision X1 and he "accidentally" stumbled upon and saw that my 2nd GPU was being used 30%, where my 1st GPU was only being used 4%.
Another reason why i haven't just opened the computer and fixed it is because i'm physically disabled and it's not possible for me to do it physically. I will however get my dad to do it tomorrow. I will let you know if it fixes my problem or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the problem is that everything is plugged into my 2nd GPU, and it shouldn't be

Which is what I said in the very first post I made.

And you'd have better performance anyhow, for 90% of games, because a single 2080 TI is supported for ALL games, while two 1080 ti's is not. Plus, you'll pull a lot less power from the wall.

At best, for games, and ONLY for games, that fully support SLI, you might see a 30% increase in performance from a second card. That is a low number of games these days, because most developers aren't spending the extra time and resources on SLI and Crossfire profiling or driver support anymore, nor is Nvidia.

For games that DON'T have support, minimum frame rates can be less than half those of a single card from the SLI setup, much less those of a single card that is itself normally about 40-50% more capable individually than those from the SLI setup individually.

While not strictly a professional review, and I don't normally do this but this guy gives a pretty straight forward presentation that I think is pretty accurate, all things considered, this probably tells the tale exactly as it is.

Last edited: