My PC is stuck at restoring a file!

Gamster123

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
Hi everyone,

My PC was running a bit slow so I used F11 on the start screen to completely wipe my PC system but with back-up. It is now at 34% it was going well until it started restore a file called: E:\RECOVER\factory.wsi. it has been 14 hours and it is still stuck on 34% at recovering that file. Does anyone know my PC is ever gonna finish this and is there a solution for this?

Ty for reading!

Solution
Hope your recovery completed.

If not power down and do the restore again. 2nd time may work.

If the second time fails again then please post what backup/restore utility you are using and the disk configuration.

Are you restoring from a USB external disk or from a restore partition on your internal disk drive? If you don't know the answer post, and do not read anything more in this post.

1. Checkdisk against the external USB drive. See if there is a file or media error
2. I've seen restores hang because the target (empty) drive for the restore was partitioned/formatted in a way the restore utility didn't like. Most of those utilities will by default leave your disk partitioning scheme alone. This includes windows...
Hope your recovery completed.

If not power down and do the restore again. 2nd time may work.

If the second time fails again then please post what backup/restore utility you are using and the disk configuration.

Are you restoring from a USB external disk or from a restore partition on your internal disk drive? If you don't know the answer post, and do not read anything more in this post.

1. Checkdisk against the external USB drive. See if there is a file or media error
2. I've seen restores hang because the target (empty) drive for the restore was partitioned/formatted in a way the restore utility didn't like. Most of those utilities will by default leave your disk partitioning scheme alone. This includes windows backup/restore and most of the OEM PC recovery partitions. You fix this problem by deleting the partitions on the target drive before doing the restore. Use a USB boot drive with partition magic or similar. Deleting the partitions also wipes all data on the target drive, so only do this if you are SURE that you do no need any data anywhere on the disk. Note that most PC restore partitions are on the same disk as the C: drive and will be lost if you wipe the partitions.

If you have win 10 then you can download and install a fresh copy.
If you have an older windows system and no good backup then the OEM manufacturer will sell you a CD with recovery image for $10 to $30. I've had to do this for both HP and Lenovo systems where the disk failed an no one burned a CD with the recovery image.

Good luck.

Solution