My PC is stuck on the Dell Logo

glossypete

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
hello, I need help on my Dell PC. I have a Dell Dimension 5150 that when I try to turn it on, it gets stuck on the Dell logo screen. I tried hitting the F2 and F12 but it does nothing and it begins to beep after a while of hitting F2 or F12. I took off all hardware except, motherboard, RAM, CPU and PSU.
Now the weird thing is that when I take it all apart, which means cpu out of motherboard and take off RAM sticks, then I put it back together again, it works fine. the Bios Runs very slow though. But when I try to restart or I turn it off and back on, the PC gets stuck on the Dell logo screen again. I took it apart again and put it back together and it worked...This time it went straight to windows with no problems. But again, I try to restart and it gets stuck on the same Dell Logo screen.

What could be causing this problem????? I really need help. I'm thinking it's the motherboard but it seems to work fine when i take it apart and put it back together again. So at this point i don't know what's wrong.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Try and clear CMOS through putting a jumper on the CMOS pins ticking out. Otherwise I would recommend you take out the cell battery and put it back in after 10 seconds, though this will mess with the system clock.

glossypete

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

Already tried that. I pulled the battery out and left it out for a weekend, didn't work. I also reset the bios jumpers, didn't work.
Thanks for the input anyway.

Any other suggestions anyone???????HELP!!

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Can you take out everything and just put in a stick of RAM and the CPU then boot? Even with these and no hard drive the machine should post just not boot into the OS since the hard drive isn't there.

glossypete

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

Tried that too, didn't work. I even tried placing the stick of RAM on different dimmers,.. didn't work.

It just doesn't get past the Dell logo...it just gets stuck. On the bottom of the Dell logo, there is like a status bar,...well that is like 3/4 filled and the other piece doesn't fill completely. Sometimes is fills in a little more but not all the way full. And then it doesn't move from there...

Currently I got nothing but the MOBO, RAM, and CPU. The RAM was recently replace, so I know that is not the problem. The problem must lie within the MOBO or CPU...but to know which before I replace one or the other is difficult.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I would be happier if your PC could access the menu, the mobo has a compatability check thing you should disable and tell it to fast boot as it skips compatability steps, are you using the components that came with the PC?

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Im' sorry I'm looking at the Dell site and your mobo is a BTX, no ATX board will fit in your case, I have a Dimension E520 I would know. Your only option is to buy some BTX board online and then buy a new CPU as your Pentium 4 is old, BTX boards don't go past Intels 900 family so you're limited to Core 2 Duos/Quads in the 6xxx family. Your mobo is most likely the culprit since it won't boot.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I'm sorry I was looking online and whatever mobo you choose for BTX with either a 945 or 955x chipset the best CPU for it is the Pentium D, my BTX board is the 965 so I could at least get the Core 2 Quad 6700.

glossypete

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

Tried that too,. It didn't work. The PC just beeps continuesly indicating it needs the RAM on.

gauravvarshney

Honorable
Jul 7, 2012
I would need your expertise to help me out of this. Let me explain my problem first.

I have a Dell Latiude E5410, I have the same problem my dell junk is stuck at DELL logo screen. How it happened I will explain the details.

I was trying to run the keyboard diagnostics test for that I made my cd drive as the first boot device n system booted n I started running the test. But the diagnostics cd n laptop model didn't match n the test was stuck. I had no choice but to restart the system.

Solutions I have tried till now are removing RAM, Harddrive, CD ROM, running system on AC Power, on battery, without CMOS battery. I have even tried Shorting the BIOS by joining the CMOS battery circuit but no success.

other solutions i have tried are about Fn key and Power button but nothign happens just the Diagonistics boot Selected comes up. pressing F12 and F2 also doesnt help the texts come up Entering boot setup etc etc but the progress bar is still stuck.
Need some expert help here.