My pc is stuttering while playing some games

Toky

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Hello,

For a last few weeks while playing some games i get my games run normaly on 60 fps for 15-20minutes, and than stuttering starts. It happens every 2 minutes, my fps goes down to 5-8, and it stays like that for 10 seconds, and than after 2 minutes again the same thing.

Also tryed SpeedFan and got these results(While playing APB relaoded):
Processor temp: 62-69
Gpu temp: 56-60

My pc specs:
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM 1866Mhz
Hard Drive: 500 GB Total
Motherboard: ASRock Extreme 3 990FX
Operation System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series

Anyone has any idea?

treadlightly

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
I am new here, so I don't know if anything I am going to suggest will be of any help to you at all, but I am going to try. I have been computing for 30 years (I'm 58 years old), and I have seen some weird errors in my time.

I recently installed a new Radeon 5450 video card into my computer and then had some problems. I am running Vista Home Basic 32-bit on a fairly low-end computer: AMD Sempron LE-1250, 4 GB of RAM. I was already running a strange application that uses the unused clock cycles on the CPU and, if possible, the GPU as well, to crunch numbers for university projects.

The moment this app started using my new Radeon GPU, I started having serious troubles: On one occasion, my computer froze up for about 20 seconds, and then I got an error message saying that the video card had experienced a "serious problem," but had recovered. On another occasion, within 24 hours, Windows was forced to shut down and restart due to a serious hardware error.

So I stopped the BOINC client from using my video card, and the problems ceased.

Then, within two days of this, I got an automatic notification that there was a software update for the video card, and I installed it. Since then I have allowed the BOINC software to use the GPU once again, and so far, no more problems.

The point of all this is to make absolutely sure that you have the latest update for your video card's software. AMD seem to be working hard to ensure compatibility with software and hardware, which is great, but I can tell you from first-hand experience that their cards can have serious bugs.

I was just thinking that if getting the latest drivers for my card fixed my problems, it might do the same for you.

Toky

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
My GPU drivers are up to date, unfortinetly that isnt the problem :S (thats the first ting i did)

GPU: sapphire AMD radeon HD 6850
Resolution: 1920x1080

Games i have problem with: all the games that have a heavy us of CPU and GPU (APB reloaded, Assassins Creed 3....)

And the dust, it has yust a bit of it. I cant open it to try to clean it because its sealed because of warranty (If I open it i lose warranty). Last time i sent it on cleaning it was like 3 months ago, so it couldnt get that dusty...

mi1ez

Splendid

Download the latest drivers from the AMD website, don't rely on Windows!

In terms of dust, take the card out, blast it with compressed air, and hoover it from intake and outlet.

treadlightly

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
This may seem like a silly suggestion, but if drivers are up to date, temperatures are okay, and you have plenty of RAM and CPU horsepower, then I would suspect the slow link in the data-flow chain: the hard drive.

If your games read lots of data from the hard drive, and it is badly fragmented, they may be waiting for data to arrive from the HDD. It may be that when the game first loads, it gathers everything it needs from the hard drive based on your last save, but as you continue to play, it needs more and more new data from the HDD. This is especially true for video and graphics, which are generally very large files at high video settings.

Also, please don't get bogged down in analyzing frames-per-second. I don't know if this is true, but it seems to me the video card won't deliver 60 fps if it doesn't have 60 frames to display: It will only display 60 fps if it is *fed* 60 fps from the CPU. So it seems to me that if the data stream from CPU to video card lags, fps will lag as well, but as I say, I'm not really sure about that. The general idea is that the CPU isn't getting graphical data from the hard drive fast enough, so it can't feed the graphics card fast enough, so the video stutters and the game becomes a pain to play.

Try defragging the hard drive. I recommend a third-party app such as AusLogics Disk Defrag, which you can get from http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/. The program is free.

downeyb

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Howdy,

I've been battling "stuttering" ( lagging, interrupts ) issues on a machine for awhile and seemed to have cleared it up on one reboot. I've changed my performance option from Programs to Background services and that seems to free'd up most of my machine now.

I went a step further and removed my Virtual memory driver from my recovery drive, and created a readyboost on a usb solid state drive.

These three steps seems to have breathed new life into an old celeron which is now running better than it's i7 replacement out of the box.. Hey, I like my magicjack on my celeron - lol...

Hope this helps work for you too,

treadlightly

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
downeyb, you may have something there. Well, making your computer as lean and mean as it can be is never a bad idea, and it just might help Toky out. It certainly can't hurt.

Windows in any form is a hungry beast, consuming system resources at will. Here is another tip that may help:

Try streamlining performance by tweaking Windows services to get best game performance, and best computer performance in general. This is accomplished through Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services. You need Administrator privileges to do this, of course. Then visit Black Viper's web site to see a tabular list of what each service does, whether you need it at all, and whether you can tweak it to help your computer run better. I have used his suggestions before, and he has never led me wrong. The man is a wizard.

http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/
:hello: