[SOLVED] My Pc is suddenly peforming badly

May 29, 2020
This is going to be quite long.

Keep in mind I am 15 so I don't know a lot about Pc issues and I may mess some things up.

My pc has been performing terribly, I think I know the cause but I am not sure. I have made several observations that make me think it is something to do with my CPU. First of all this problem started just after I was tinkering inside of my pc I tried to remove the stock intel CPU cooler but couldn't get it completely loose/off so I redid the tightener things and put it back. All of a sudden after I did this I turned my pc on and the problems started games would take forever to load or just not load at all however the fps stayed fine maybe even better when I was finally able to get into the game. All of a sudden I was having problems with games that are easy to run such as Rocket league, It would take 5 minutes to load in but when I did get in the game fps and everything was fine. Another observation is that when trying to load into a game or online match in rocket league the game would freeze and I would just not load in. This also happened in rainbow six siege. I could load into an online match, but when a round ended the loading time was unbearable and I would be stuck on a black screen. So there is a common theme of loading time issues. With call of duty cold war, before the problem the game would load quickly and I could easily play. Now when I try to launch it the game sits on a black screen for upwards of 5 mins before going into the loading screen and then it would either crash saying I need to 'Scan and Repair' The game or it would say Disconnected form Activision and force me to close the game. I have even had problems with simple applications such as steam. It would not respond every 2 minutes or whenever I would try do do something like switch which game is being downloaded it would freeze up and not respond before coming back. With all this evidence i think it has something to do with my CPU but I am not sure. If it is how do I fix it, or will I need to replace it?

You may need my specs so here they are -
Gtx 1060 3gb
Intel I5 3340
16gb DDR3 Ram
500w Power Supply (Unsure of brand)
Kingston SSD (120gb)
ST500DM002-1BD142 Hard Drive (500gb)

Solution
Since your issues started with the cooler, start with getting that right.
Do not remove the cpu from the socket.
The motherboard socket pins are delicate and can be easily damaged reinserting the cpu.

Remount the cooler.
You will need some thermal paste, most any will do.
Alcohol, 70-92% to clean off the old paste.

Here is my canned instructions:

----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the...

Keep in mind I am 15 so I don't know a lot about Pc issues and I may mess some things up.

My pc has been performing terribly, I think I know the cause but I am not sure. I have made several observations that make me think it is something to do with my CPU. First of all this problem started just after I was tinkering inside of my pc I tried to remove the stock intel CPU cooler but couldn't get it completely loose/off so I redid the tightener things and put it back. All of a sudden after I did this I turned my pc on and the problems started games would take forever to load or just not load at all however the fps stayed fine maybe even better when I was finally able to get into the game. All of a sudden I was having problems with games that are easy to run such as Rocket league, It would take 5 minutes to load in but when I did get in the game fps and everything was fine. Another observation is that when trying to load into a game or online match in rocket league the game would freeze and I would just not load in. This also happened in rainbow six siege. I could load into an online match, but when a round ended the loading time was unbearable and I would be stuck on a black screen. So there is a common theme of loading time issues. With call of duty cold war, before the problem the game would load quickly and I could easily play. Now when I try to launch it the game sits on a black screen for upwards of 5 mins before going into the loading screen and then it would either crash saying I need to 'Scan and Repair' The game or it would say Disconnected form Activision and force me to close the game. I have even had problems with simple applications such as steam. It would not respond every 2 minutes or whenever I would try do do something like switch which game is being downloaded it would freeze up and not respond before coming back. With all this evidence i think it has something to do with my CPU but I am not sure. If it is how do I fix it, or will I need to replace it?

Gtx 1060 3gb
Intel I5 3340
16gb DDR3 Ram
Kingston SSD (120gb)
Maybe the HDD is on its way out. You could run chkdsk on it.

May 29, 2020
Maybe the HDD is on its way out. You could run chkdsk on it.
Did your CPU move when you tried taking the cooler off, or just the heatsink moved?
Your problem most probably is cooling, you messed the Thermal paste between cooler and cpu.

but to make sure, you must get temps. Use hardware monitor to check your cpu temps:
My cpu didnt move at all just the heatsink.

View: https://imgur.com/a/xJQezbD

Watrevir

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2013

Gtx 1060 3gb
Intel I5 3340
16gb DDR3 Ram
Kingston SSD (120gb)

I agree with LeiHeJun - it sounds like you've made the distribution of your thermal paste uneven and the heatsink isn't able to wick heat away when the CPU's under load. Your temps in HW Monitor do seem fine at idle.

Try Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and run a short stress test. That'll show you your temps and should give you an indication as to whether the cooling performance has been affected.

Reactions: LeiHeJun
May 29, 2020
I agree with LeiHeJun - it sounds like you've made the distribution of your thermal paste uneven and the heatsink isn't able to wick heat away when the CPU's under load. Your temps in HW Monitor do seem fine at idle.

Try Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and run a short stress test. That'll show you your temps and should give you an indication as to whether the cooling performance has been affected.
I dont think my cpu is compatible with it. It is not on the download list.

Since your issues started with the cooler, start with getting that right.
Do not remove the cpu from the socket.
The motherboard socket pins are delicate and can be easily damaged reinserting the cpu.

Remount the cooler.
You will need some thermal paste, most any will do.
Alcohol, 70-92% to clean off the old paste.

Here is my canned instructions:

----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.

Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.

When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
Clean off old paste with alcohol and a lint free paper like a coffee filter.
Apply new paste sparingly. A small rice sized drop in the center will spread our under heat and pressure.
Too much paste is bad, it will act as an insulator.
It is hard to use too little.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reactions: Ronv1011
Solution