[SOLVED] my pc is suddenly running games slow

Feb 10, 2019
my pc is suddenly running all games really slow and lagging really hard. even really low demanding games are slow. i had a windows update but thats the only things thats changed with my pc. my specs are: Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz 30 °C
Skylake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1069MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
MSI Z170A GAMING M5 (MS-7977) (U3E1) 33 °C
Graphics
G227HQL (1920x1080@60Hz)
S220HQL (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (MSI) 52 °C
Storage
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 (SATA) 30 °C

my temps seem to be fine and looked for loose cables already any advise will help :)

Solution
Hey! I found out what it was (at least for me). So to be clear, all of my games except for 1 (Destiny 2) would lag and be stuck at around 4-8fps from the get-go. Even the loading screens when the game starts with the company logo, AMD/Nvidia, seizure warnings, etc. All of that would be extremely laggy and again, stuck at terrible frame rates. Turns out, Destiny 2's resolution was set to 4k and I have a 144hz 1080p monitor. For some reason it tried to play all my other games at this resolution, even though it was not supported. How this continues to effect other games after Destiny shuts off, I have no idea. But I kept getting a blurry app warning from windows 10 as well. So, I went into Destiny, put it back to 1080p and now everything...
Feb 28, 2019
Im kind of in the same boat. All of a sudden, this morning, Anthem and AC: Oddyssey start up and continue running at 4fps when they used to be closer to 90fps. I have a high end PC, but out of no where all of this started. for some reason every game is like this now EXCEPT Destiny 2. It runs fine? Totally confused here, and Ive reinstalled drivers, windows, tested memory, benchmarks, etc. No idea. If I find the problem I will send a message.

Feb 28, 2019
Hey! I found out what it was (at least for me). So to be clear, all of my games except for 1 (Destiny 2) would lag and be stuck at around 4-8fps from the get-go. Even the loading screens when the game starts with the company logo, AMD/Nvidia, seizure warnings, etc. All of that would be extremely laggy and again, stuck at terrible frame rates. Turns out, Destiny 2's resolution was set to 4k and I have a 144hz 1080p monitor. For some reason it tried to play all my other games at this resolution, even though it was not supported. How this continues to effect other games after Destiny shuts off, I have no idea. But I kept getting a blurry app warning from windows 10 as well. So, I went into Destiny, put it back to 1080p and now everything works like it should. I guess it tried to force virtual super resolution? So if you have 1 game that works fine as well, check out the settings within. Hopefully that helps.

Solution
Hey! I found out what it was (at least for me). So to be clear, all of my games except for 1 (Destiny 2) would lag and be stuck at around 4-8fps from the get-go. Even the loading screens when the game starts with the company logo, AMD/Nvidia, seizure warnings, etc. All of that would be extremely laggy and again, stuck at terrible frame rates. Turns out, Destiny 2's resolution was set to 4k and I have a 144hz 1080p monitor. For some reason it tried to play all my other games at this resolution, even though it was not supported. How this continues to effect other games after Destiny shuts off, I have no idea. But I kept getting a blurry app warning from windows 10 as well. So, I went into Destiny, put it back to 1080p and now everything works like it should. I guess it tried to force virtual super resolution? So if you have 1 game that works fine as well, check out the settings within. Hopefully that helps.

This happened to me the other day with Overwatch I think it was. I had my TV connected to my PC and for some reason, I also got the "blury text" thing windows says and I was confused, and a couple of other problems because I like to put something on my TV while playing games or whatever. Anyway, when the game loaded up the TV went to desktop picture, my viewer was removed, and my Game was on my monitor... Turned out the Game for some reason changed my Resolution. I think I will put it down to crappy Nvidia drivers trying to alter games because I am sure it happened after their last Driver update - never had this problem with my RX PC