[SOLVED] My PC is the only computer in the house having internet issues

Mar 29, 2020
I currently have connection issues when it comes to playing online video games. When I test my speeds using Ookla the test show decent Mbps speeds. We use an Apple Airport Extreme for our wifi. If anyone has a possible way to fix my situation I'm up for trying it.

Solution
So I actually figured out the problem for anyone else that has this same problem. On Airport Extremes the NAT type can’t be configured, but isn’t set to open by what I know. All I did was reserve an IP making it static and so far my internet has been fine now. A link that I found useful for reserving an IP for my computer: https://www.macinstruct.com/node/553

kanewolf

Titan
I currently have connection issues when it comes to playing online video games. When I test my speeds using Ookla the test show decent Mbps speeds. We use an Apple Airport Extreme for our wifi. If anyone has a possible way to fix my situation I'm up for trying it.
Verify your connectivity with a wired connection. You have to determine if the WIFI has a problem or the computer has a problem.

Mar 29, 2020
Verify your connectivity with a wired connection. You have to determine if the WIFI has a problem or the computer has a problem.
I’m trying that right now and it won’t connect to the internet saying no internet access. Whenever I ran a troubleshoot it said Ethernet 2 doesn’t have a valid IP configuration

Mar 29, 2020
If you're not even getting a wired connection working, it sounds like there's something messed up with your system.

Get the wired working and then run tests.
I figured it out and played my games as usual and also did speed tests on the wired connection. Everything was fine while on the wired connection. Does this mean I need to mess with my drivers or anything else for my WiFi adapter?

Mar 29, 2020
That is better than many that have the antennas build-in. I don't know how well Apple WIFI works with non-Apple hardware.
I’ve searched it up and many threads say Windows 10 is excellent with the AirPort Extreme. Do you think I need to configure my adapter settings for reinstall them? If not, then do you by any chance have someone you can point me to?

kanewolf

Titan
I’ve searched it up and many threads say Windows 10 is excellent with the AirPort Extreme. Do you think I need to configure my adapter settings for reinstall them? If not, then do you by any chance have someone you can point me to?
I have never used any Apple network products. I can't help on this one. But since you had trouble with wired connectivity, you may have a basic OS problem on your PC.

Mar 29, 2020
I have never used any Apple network products. I can't help on this one. But since you had trouble with wired connectivity, you may have a basic OS problem on your PC.
The reason I had wired problems was because I was being stupid and plugged the Ethernet from modem to computer instead of router to computer. After that I didn’t have and wired connection problems.

Reactions: SamirD
Wifi in general is less about the adapter and access point and more about the airwaves--if you're in an apartment or other housing that has a lot of other access points, your airwaves are full of noise and that means a lot of lag. Speed tests will be fine, but if you run something like the freeola line test, you'll see a lot of jitter.

Mar 29, 2020
Wifi in general is less about the adapter and access point and more about the airwaves--if you're in an apartment or other housing that has a lot of other access points, your airwaves are full of noise and that means a lot of lag. Speed tests will be fine, but if you run something like the freeola line test, you'll see a lot of jitter.
I do play games from the opposite of the house that my router and modem are on. If I ran this test and compared the two results and my room has these problems does that mean I can put an extender or do something to prevent this problem?

Mar 29, 2020
Update: I get latency around the 110s from my room and on ethernet in the livingroom and the jitter in my room is 5ms and the jitter for the ethernet was 3ms

Mar 29, 2020
These metrics sound pretty close to each other, which should be good. Is there a way you can try your pc with a different router/access point?
We don't own any access points or router other than the Airport Extreme that we're using right now, and I'm not entirely sure how easy it would be right now to get either of those options currently with Covid-19 going around.

We don't own any access points or router other than the Airport Extreme that we're using right now, and I'm not entirely sure how easy it would be right now to get either of those options currently with Covid-19 going around.
Since you've already tried different usb nics, the next thing would be to change what they connect to. You can still buy things online, and you would just connect it as an additional access point to test.

Mar 29, 2020
So I actually figured out the problem for anyone else that has this same problem. On Airport Extremes the NAT type can’t be configured, but isn’t set to open by what I know. All I did was reserve an IP making it static and so far my internet has been fine now. A link that I found useful for reserving an IP for my computer: https://www.macinstruct.com/node/553

Solution

TRENDING THREADS