Question My PC is totally dead, here is what I have tried. Help!!

Sep 16, 2020
Hello, so I have recently built a new PC. From the start I couldn't get it to power on at all. A lot of troubleshooting later, and finally I get the CPU and GPU fans to spin for... half a second. After this small success my PC went back to dead, no indication of any power at all. So next I bought a new Power Supply to test. Unfortunately it was still dead. I decided it must be the Motherboard, so I bought a new one. Nope. Still Dead. I have tried every combination of components possible, including stripping it to the bare minimum outside the case. I can't even get the motherboard EZ debug lights to show me anything.

Before anyone asks the easy stuff, yes the I/O is correct, yes the connections are tight, yes I tried with one stick of RAM, yes I reset CMOS, yes I resat the CPU, yes I took out the GPU, yes I applied thermal paste, yes my components are compatible, etc, etc I have tried everything I can think of. Hell, I even went step by step trough the troubleshooting guide on this website.

I have NO CLUE where to go next. It seems the only thing I haven't tried is totally replacing the CPU. I am reluctant to do this because it would take me a few weeks to get another and I am running out of patience with this build, not to mention I am using a brand new Ryzen 5 3600 with no bent pins or anything like that, so I want to believe that isn't the problem.

Please tell me if there is anything I could possibly have overlooked. Thank you!

EggOnIce

Honorable
Jan 29, 2015
Hello, so I have recently built a new PC. From the start I couldn't get it to power on at all. A lot of troubleshooting later, and finally I get the CPU and GPU fans to spin for... half a second. After this small success my PC went back to dead, no indication of any power at all. So next I bought a new Power Supply to test. Unfortunately it was still dead. I decided it must be the Motherboard, so I bought a new one. Nope. Still Dead. I have tried every combination of components possible, including stripping it to the bare minimum outside the case. I can't even get the motherboard EZ debug lights to show me anything.

Before anyone asks the easy stuff, yes the I/O is correct, yes the connections are tight, yes I tried with one stick of RAM, yes I reset CMOS, yes I resat the CPU, yes I took out the GPU, yes I applied thermal paste, yes my components are compatible, etc, etc I have tried everything I can think of. Hell, I even went step by step trough the troubleshooting guide on this website.

I have NO CLUE where to go next. It seems the only thing I haven't tried is totally replacing the CPU. I am reluctant to do this because it would take me a few weeks to get another and I am running out of patience with this build, not to mention I am using a brand new Ryzen 5 3600 with no bent pins or anything like that, so I want to believe that isn't the problem.

Please tell me if there is anything I could possibly have overlooked. Thank you!

I think it's either a dead CPU or a bad power switch. Have you tried replacing that one? As silly as it sounds, sometimes these issues depend on the last think you would think of: the case and its header connections.

Sep 16, 2020
I think it's either a dead CPU or a bad power switch. Have you tried replacing that one? As silly as it sounds, sometimes these issues depend on the last think you would think of: the case and its header connections.

I see your logic but I even tried manually jumping the system with a screwdriver, so it can't be that. Must just be a dead CPU. Any other ideas?