[SOLVED] My PC is turning off at random times

Nov 18, 2019
Over the past 3 weeks, my computer has been switching off at completely random times. On some occasions its turning off while surfing the web, but most of the time its switching off during gameplay. Firstly, I cleaned out the computer, and changed my water cooler to a regular CPU Fan as my liquid cooler was due a change. Initially, when I changed it, I noticed that the pc started switching off less frequently than before but now its starting to turn off around 3 times during gameplay alone but manages to stay on while just browsing the web (so far lol). I have taken note of the temperature of the CPU and during gameplay it doesnt seem to ever go over 80 degrees which leads me to think that my issue is in my motherboard. I wont say it's the PSU as I took it to a technician and he said all is good with it and there are no issues. Moreover, I checked the electrical grid and that seems fine too.

I ran a memtest for several hours with no errors and also stress tested my CPU and GPU. GPU holds up fine at around 60 degrees on ultra settings and my CPU reached around 74 degrees max at 100% CPU usage,

The only thing I can think of is that my motherboard CPU sensor is broken and mis-reading the temperature and switching the computer off.

PS. The computer switches itself back on all the time, instantly , it does not need me to press the on switch. Also if it makes any differences, accounts that I wouldve been signed into (like origin, League of Legends etc) all sign out and lose my credentials as if I never touched the launchers. This PC has never given my any issues other than this over the past 4 years.

The Setup:

CPU: Intel i7 6700k
GPU: GTX 1070 Windforce Nvidia
MOBO: Asus Maximus Hero VIII
PSU: EVGA 1000W Bronze (forgot exactly which edition)

Solution
Never actually thats why Im finding it weird. As I said a memtest provided no errors for my ram, i even swapped them out to test a new pair but still the same result. Im not sure how its possible to check for a PSU failing myself, Im just going on the word of the technician.

If it passed memtest then it probably isn't the RAM. Plus if you switched out the memory with known good memory and it still did it, I doubt it't the memory. My next focus would be on the PSU but really the only way to test it is to buy another PSU and install it then run the computer to see if it still does it.
Nov 18, 2019
Have you over clocked your I7? If so how long ago? Are you sure it's stable if you did?

Usually random shut offs are caused by one of four things
  1. over heating
  2. bad RAM causing a BSOD
  3. unstable overclock
  4. PSU that is about to go

Never actually thats why Im finding it weird. As I said a memtest provided no errors for my ram, i even swapped them out to test a new pair but still the same result. Im not sure how its possible to check for a PSU failing myself, Im just going on the word of the technician.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
by chance have you an anti virus installed? I know this is going to sound weird but its 100% true, I had a friend whoes PC was randomly shutting off as well, she had no clue what was going on , and at first neither did I. all her hardware was good, OS seemed fine etc. well it turned out she had McAfee installed but it had ran out, and windows was trying to install updates but McAfee was stopping it causing the system to just shut down. once I uninstalled McAfee and the system was able to go threw its update process everything was back to normal with no more random crashes.

If it passed memtest then it probably isn't the RAM. Plus if you switched out the memory with known good memory and it still did it, I doubt it't the memory. My next focus would be on the PSU but really the only way to test it is to buy another PSU and install it then run the computer to see if it still does it.

Solution