[SOLVED] My PC is unable to handle basic software and games.

Aug 1, 2019
Hi i'm not sure this is the right thread but basically i've had this PC for 6 months, it has a AMD FX 9370 Eight Core Processor clocked at 4.42 ghz, 8GB of DDR3 RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 graphics card, i also have a cpu cooler but i dont know brand or type. This PC was intended for gaming and has been great but recently it just can't handle games, even something as simple as minecraft. It's even started to struggle with basic things such as google chrome and spotify. It just gets so loud and then overheats itself and turns off. I downloaded Speccy to see the temperatures and they're not even that high, right now as I'm writing this the temps are:
GPU: 48C
CPU: 41C
Motherboard: 40C
Hard Drive: 43c
I read that these temps are normal but even at these temps, it's still really hot and loud and I do not understand, like i cannot physically touch the case due to how hot it is. Can someone help? Thank you.

Solution
the cooler is woefully under spec. that is the reason it throttles all the time.

even my hyper 212 evo would be inadequate. you need a cooler from the top of this list (cooler master list as examples of the coolers needed for that inferno) and other cooler makers will have similar lists.
as far above 220W as you can afford.

iu

this is the usual cooler for that kind of heat.
for air coolers they are much larger like this behemoth...
Aug 1, 2019
Check those temps again with AMD Overdrive. I've heard Core Temp also works.
What's the make and model of the motherboard?
Make and model of power supply?
Cpu cooler?

Motherboard is: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (Socket 942)
Power supply: be quiet! i'm not sure about model, it just says 100-240 vac
cpu cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper H412R 92 mm CPU Cooler

I wasn't exactly sure how AMD Overdrive work but this is what i got:
http://prntscr.com/on1fnm

btw I'm not the best at PCs, i'm not really sure what i'm doing haha

D

Deleted member 14196

well, that hardware isn't the best at gaming, but it shouldn't be so bad. my guess is that the updates got you, maybe replaced a good video driver with a bad one.

I would download the drivers from Nvidia and use DDU to remove all traces of the video drivers, then install the Nvidia ones again.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Motherboard is: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (Socket 942)
Power supply: be quiet! i'm not sure about model, it just says 100-240 vac
cpu cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper H412R 92 mm CPU Cooler

I wasn't exactly sure how AMD Overdrive work but this is what i got:
http://prntscr.com/on1fnm

btw I'm not the best at PCs, i'm not really sure what i'm doing haha
Was this screenshot taken while playing one of your games? I need to see a screenshot of Overdrive when things slow down in game.
Motherboard is ok.
That cpu cooler(100w TDP) is really underspecced for that cpu(220w TDP).
Power supply: there really wasn't an image like this anywhere on the unit? https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/ATX_PS_label.jpg

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the cooler is woefully under spec. that is the reason it throttles all the time.

even my hyper 212 evo would be inadequate. you need a cooler from the top of this list (cooler master list as examples of the coolers needed for that inferno) and other cooler makers will have similar lists.
as far above 220W as you can afford.

iu

this is the usual cooler for that kind of heat.
for air coolers they are much larger like this behemoth
iu

Solution