Question My PC is under performing. Extremely low FPS in games. How do I fix?

Dec 29, 2019
A few months ago, my PC could run games like PUBG on ultra with good FPS. Now I struggle to get even 30 FPS on the lowest settings. I just bought a new graphics card (RTX 2060, used to have GTX 960) hoping this would solve the problem. It did not. I figure it is my CPU, so I restored it to default in BIOS. I think maybe that helped a little, but I do not think I should have to play at the lowest settings in order to get barely manageable FPS. I am not great with computers and could use some guidance. I notice in this benchmark my RAM is struggling as well. Do I need to replace that, or is it being hindered by the CPU or something? Here are the benchmarks. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

UserBenchmarks: Game 51%, Desk 43%, Work 27%
CPU: AMD FX-4350 - 32.4%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 - 83.5%
SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB - 88.4%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 116.6%
RAM: G.SKILL F3 DDR3 2400 C10 2x8GB - 40.4%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Apr 29, 2019
You need to change your Cpu

its like you have a brand new Lamborghini with a scooter engine

your cpu is struggling to match with your gpu ( that's actually called bottlenecking )

you need at least fx 8350
or a stronger processor matching with your motherboard socket

Reactions: Proteus1
Dec 29, 2019
You need to change your Cpu

its like you have a brand new Lamborghini with a scooter engine

your cpu is struggling to match with your gpu ( that's actually called bottlenecking )

you need at least fx 8350
or a stronger processor matching with your motherboard socket
Thanks so much for your quick reply. Would my CPU have been bottlenecking my old GTX 960 as well?

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
If it was working fine one day and then it wasn't the next then something has probably gone a bit wrong somewhere, You should check to see if your cpu and gpu actually boost to full speed during 3d work loads if they dont then its probably a power issue, could be psu, could be motherboard hard to say without testing it. Regardless of that your 2060 is a nice card and like the other guys said would have to recommend a full new system for that gpu.

Dec 29, 2019
If it was working fine one day and then it wasn't the next then something has probably gone a bit wrong somewhere, You should check to see if your cpu and gpu actually boost to full speed during 3d work loads if they dont then its probably a power issue, could be psu, could be motherboard hard to say without testing it. Regardless of that your 2060 is a nice card and like the other guys said would have to recommend a full new system for that gpu.
Is there a CPU you would recommend to go with the 2060? I am looking at the Ryzen 2600. Would I also need to replace my motherboard (Gigabyte tech: 990FXA-UD3)?

Dec 29, 2019
Is there a CPU you would recommend to go with the 2060? I am looking at the Ryzen 2600. Would I also need to replace my motherboard (Gigabyte tech: 990FXA-UD3)?
Also, how do I check to see if my cpu and gpu are boosting to full speed during 3d workloads? My power supply is a Corsair HXi series 750W High Performance 80Plus Platinum.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bottleneck calculator? Seriously? That's such complete and utter garbage.

First, your gpu has nothing to do with fps. That's all cpu. The cpu pre-renders any and all frames as many times per second as it can. Sends those frames to the gpu, which finish renders them according to detail settings and resolution. The frames pre-rendered are finite, so if the cpu only sends 20 frames to the gpu per second, it wouldn't make a difference if you had a RTX2080ti, the most frames the gpu can render in that second and put on screen, is 20. Period.

The only thing a gpu can do is put out what it gets in, or fail. So if the cpu can dish out 300 frames and you have a weak gpu and high detail settings, your gpu might only finish 100 frames per second. Lower the detail levels and fps goes up. Raise details and it goes down. But the highest it can go is whatever the cpu sends.

So setting your settings to low and still getting crap fps means the cpu is the issue, changing to a 2060 doing nothing.

The above posters were at least partly right, Any quad core cpu is currently suffering, the FX having only 67% of the IPC of a 3rd gen Intel only makes things worse. But that only affects normal fps limits you are used to, Not the sudden drop, which is most normally attributed to a Windows Update messing with drivers.

So first thing is clean the pc. Use ccleaner (piriform.com) default settings. Then run the registry tool (default, say Yes! to backup), then run ccleaner again. Do this until there's really nothing left to get rid of.

Then go to the motherboard/downloads website and update any and all chipset drivers. These will include audio, Lan, USB, Sata, pcie etc. Get the latest installed, they'll either be self executing or manual update, so save them to desktop is usually easiest.

Goto nvidia, download but don't install the latest drivers for your 2060. Again, save to desktop. Use DDU (driver deleter utility) from guru3d.com, through safe mode, and delete all your prior nvidia drivers. After reboot, reinstall from the desktop set you just downloaded.

All of that should have fixed things, if not then there's larger issues and we can get busy, but at least you are current and clean.

Proteus1

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013

First, your gpu has nothing to do with fps. That's all cpu. The cpu pre-renders any and all frames as many times per second as it can. Sends those frames to the gpu, which finish renders them according to detail settings and resolution. The frames pre-rendered are finite, so if the cpu only sends 20 frames to the gpu per second, it wouldn't make a difference if you had a RTX2080ti, the most frames the gpu can render in that second and put on screen, is 20. Period.

The only thing a gpu can do is put out what it gets in, or fail. So if the cpu can dish out 300 frames and you have a weak gpu and high detail settings, your gpu might only finish 100 frames per second. Lower the detail levels and fps goes up. Raise details and it goes down. But the highest it can go is whatever the cpu sends.

So setting your settings to low and still getting crap fps means the cpu is the issue, changing to a 2060 doing nothing.

The above posters were at least partly right, Any quad core cpu is currently suffering, the FX having only 67% of the IPC of a 3rd gen Intel only makes things worse. But that only affects normal fps limits you are used to, Not the sudden drop, which is most normally attributed to a Windows Update messing with drivers.

So first thing is clean the pc. Use ccleaner (piriform.com) default settings. Then run the registry tool (default, say Yes! to backup), then run ccleaner again. Do this until there's really nothing left to get rid of.

Then go to the motherboard/downloads website and update any and all chipset drivers. These will include audio, Lan, USB, Sata, pcie etc. Get the latest installed, they'll either be self executing or manual update, so save them to desktop is usually easiest.

Goto nvidia, download but don't install the latest drivers for your 2060. Again, save to desktop. Use DDU (driver deleter utility) from guru3d.com, through safe mode, and delete all your prior nvidia drivers. After reboot, reinstall from the desktop set you just downloaded.

All of that should have fixed things, if not then there's larger issues and we can get busy, but at least you are current and clean.

Whats wrong with Bottleneck calculator? I figured it was a good little tool for someone who doesn't understand current gen processors compared to what he has to utilize and find something within his budget to compliment his nice new card? If I were chatting with someone more experienced I wouldn't even bother with bottleneck calculator. Just because it is beneath you doesn't mean it wont help someone else.

Proteus1

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Also, how do I check to see if my cpu and gpu are boosting to full speed during 3d workloads? My power supply is a Corsair HXi series 750W High Performance 80Plus Platinum.

According to userbench results your cpu is under performing compared to the avg 4350. Typical score is in the 43rd percentile, yours scored 32nd percentile is what that is telling you. This could be as simple as windows power plan settings are set to conserve power and not high performance,bios is set to conserve power, thermal paste could need redone considering the age, dust or bad airflow in case, or reinstall or update the chipset for your motherboard.

Proteus1

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
That cpu would be great and will be a very noticeable upgrade in everything you do. Yes if you upgrade to a ryzen 2600 cpu you will need a new b450 x470 or x570 motherboard and ddr4 ram.

Whats wrong with Bottleneck calculator? I figured it was a good little tool for someone who doesn't understand current gen processors compared to what he has to utilize and find something within his budget to compliment his nice new card? If I were chatting with someone more experienced I wouldn't even bother with bottleneck calculator. Just because it is beneath you doesn't mean it wont help someone else.
Those bottleneck calculators are horribly misleading and don’t look at all required factors. They are dangerous to those with little knowledge and laughable/hated by those with more knowledge. My advice to anyone is avoid.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The problem with bottleneck calculators is they cannot and do not draw relevant conclusions. It says my i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz will produce a 1.66% bottleneck with my gtx970 @ 125% OC.

In what game? Under what conditions? With what details? With what resolution? I can play vanilla skyrim at 180fps or add in my 170 mods and play at 60fps. I can hit 300fps in Office in CSGO. All at 1080p ultra.

The problem is that bottlenecks truly don't exist between a cpu and gpu. Cpu creates the fps, gpu lives upto it or fails. Neither is slowing down the flow of data, neither is a bottleneck. That's just a misappropriated name for misunderstood reality. There's Always a difference between cpu output and gpu utilization, depending entirely on the game or program and any relevant settings. Sometimes the cpu is not enough, so gpu gets under utilized, sometimes the cpu is overly ambitious so the gpu gets fully utilized. That doesn't make either one a bottleneck.

Last time I did that calculator test, I was at 10% bottleneck. I built that pc and windows put me at 7.9 out of 8, then Haswell dropped and I was suddenly at 5.9, my pc was too slow. For what? It was literally 7.9 the day before, with exactly the same equipment and programs.

Dec 27, 2019
A few months ago, my PC could run games like PUBG on ultra with good FPS. Now I struggle to get even 30 FPS on the lowest settings. I just bought a new graphics card (RTX 2060, used to have GTX 960) hoping this would solve the problem. It did not. I figure it is my CPU, so I restored it to default in BIOS. I think maybe that helped a little, but I do not think I should have to play at the lowest settings in order to get barely manageable FPS. I am not great with computers and could use some guidance. I notice in this benchmark my RAM is struggling as well. Do I need to replace that, or is it being hindered by the CPU or something? Here are the benchmarks. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

UserBenchmarks: Game 51%, Desk 43%, Work 27%
CPU: AMD FX-4350 - 32.4%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 - 83.5%
SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB - 88.4%
HDD: WD Blue 1TB (2012) - 116.6%
RAM: G.SKILL F3 DDR3 2400 C10 2x8GB - 40.4%
MBD: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Could be a drivers update?

Dec 29, 2019

Last time I did that calculator test, I was at 10% bottleneck. I built that pc and windows put me at 7.9 out of 8, then Haswell dropped and I was suddenly at 5.9, my pc was too slow. For what? It was literally 7.9 the day before, with exactly the same equipment and programs.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the advice. Sorry for the late reply, busy holidays. I did everything you said and it seems like it somewhat brought up my performance but still pretty terrible (40-50fps in PUBG at lowest settings). I should have mentioned that when I installed my new 2060 in an attempt to fix the issue I also put in an SSD so I wiped mostly everything from my HDD, so my system is pretty clean right now, which puts even more suspicion on my processor I guess. I did notice that CS:GO actually gave me good frames (120-170). Games like Star Citizen pretty much can't even launch right now on lowest settings. Do you think there are other things I should try, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new motherboard and CPU? Again, I know my processor isn't the best, it just confuses me that there was a time not so long ago where it could handle these things and now it cannot.

The problem with bottleneck calculators is they cannot and do not draw relevant conclusions. It says my i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz will produce a 1.66% bottleneck with my gtx970 @ 125% OC.

In what game? Under what conditions? With what details? With what resolution? I can play vanilla skyrim at 180fps or add in my 170 mods and play at 60fps. I can hit 300fps in Office in CSGO. All at 1080p ultra.

The problem is that bottlenecks truly don't exist between a cpu and gpu. Cpu creates the fps, gpu lives upto it or fails. Neither is slowing down the flow of data, neither is a bottleneck. That's just a misappropriated name for misunderstood reality. There's Always a difference between cpu output and gpu utilization, depending entirely on the game or program and any relevant settings. Sometimes the cpu is not enough, so gpu gets under utilized, sometimes the cpu is overly ambitious so the gpu gets fully utilized. That doesn't make either one a bottleneck.

Thanks for the advice. I did everything you said and it seems like it somewhat brought up my performance but still pretty terrible (40-50fps in PUBG at lowest settings). I should have mentioned that when I installed my new 2060 I also put in an SSD so I wiped mostly everything from my HDD, so my system is pretty clean right now, which puts even more suspicion on my processor I guess. I did notice that CS:GO actually gave me good frames (120-170).

Dec 29, 2019
That cpu would be great and will be a very noticeable upgrade in everything you do. Yes if you upgrade to a ryzen 2600 cpu you will need a new b450 x470 or x570 motherboard and ddr4 ram.
Thanks. Is there a specific motherboard you would recommend for the 2060? I do not really know the difference between a 450, 470 or 570. Would they all serve the purpose or is one a cut above the rest?

Proteus1

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
The numbers indicate the chipset of the motherboard. B450 is most popular. x470 and x570 give better vrm and more pcie lanes. I would suggest the Tomahawk Max motherboard for the 2600 cpu and 2060 gpu. It has great vrm for the b450 class and is ryzen 3 ready if you want to upgrade down the road. Use this site to plug in what you like. It will show you what is compatible and what to look out for on your new build, for the most part. I already added the 2600, tomahawk mb and just some cheap lpx memory to get you started

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CcFkCb

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Trying to eliminate causes.

Cpu sets fps limits. Gpu lives upto that limit or fails.

So if you are 50-60 on lowest settings and bump to ultra and really don't get much difference, then the issue isn't with the gpu as it'll handle any fps, it's with the cpu setting a low cap.

If fps goes in the toilet, then the issue is with the gpu, it's not able to keep up.

Eliminate one so you can concentrate on the other instead of skipping around.