Question My PC is underperforming, and I cannot understand why.

Bladophazer

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
Hi. I have recently upgraded from a GTX 1070 to an RTX 3070ti. My CPU is a Ryzen 7 5800X. I wanted to test out the full potential of the new graphics card I got, trying out all my games to see the performance upgrade. To my surprise, the difference was barely noticable, going from previously 80fps on Battlefield 1 on highest settings to only 90 with the 3070ti, or from 90-100 fps in GTA V to around 120. I knew something was wrong, so I have been spending the last 4 hours searching various forums about this problem and finding out I am not the only one running into such an issue. I have ran benchmarks, in which I found out my CPU was really underperforming, and it makes no sense to me as to why, and even my GPU and RAM are slightly underperforming too. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46634234 , https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46631601 . When it came to games, I also realised a problem was that I was running them at 1080p, and that I should probably invest in a 1440p monitor, but is it even worth it if my components are going to run this badly? I look at other people benchmarking with the exact same components as mine, and if it was a 10-20 fps increase they were getting that would be fine with me, but when the difference is at times, with certain games, up to 100 fps better? I really wish someone can advise me on how to fix this issue.

What cpu cooler are you using? Looks like your cpu could be thermal throttling? As above, what psu do you have? Are your graphics/chipset drivers up to date? What BIOS version is your motherboard on? Ryzens like faster RAM, 3200-3600mhz is better.

Bladophazer

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
What cpu cooler are you using? Looks like your cpu could be thermal throttling? As above, what psu do you have? Are your graphics/chipset drivers up to date? What BIOS version is your motherboard on? Ryzens like faster RAM, 3200-3600mhz is better.
I have an NZXT Kraken M22 water cooler. I used HWMonitor to check my cpu temps at high loads. It does not go over 50 celsius. Graphics drivers are all up to date, chipset drivers I am not sure how to update but assumed that they would be up to date, as well as the BIOS version. I will double check this today to make sure everything is up to date, and maybe look into getting some faster RAM as well.

Reactions: kurdtnz

Bladophazer

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
Your RAM performance is way down, maybe it’s not running dual channel. Is the RAM n the correct slots per the motherboard instructions for when running 2 dimms? Can you download cpu-z and then under the memory tab check that channels us showing as dual and not single.
You are right, I installed CPU-Z and it is showing as single channel. I did not think the ram stick placement mattered, I will read over my motherboard instructions and fix that immediately.

Bladophazer

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
I have updated my chipset drivers, as well as fixed the RAM issue that @sizzling mentioned, and now my RAM is showing up as dual channel. I ran a new benchmark, https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46642288 , and immediately got much better results, except for the graphics card which is still underperforming for whatever reason, which I can also notice in games, with only a 10-20 fps boost. Maybe it would be worth it in the end to invest in a 1440p monitor to try avoid the bottleneck to 1080p, but maybe there is still something I can do to make the graphics card run better?

That's definitely an improvement! But it still seems there is an issue with your cpu not getting up to speed,( I think the average all-core speed for an 5800X is about 4.5Ghz?) What power plan are you running on Windows? ie balanced? power saver? Your base speed says 4.2Ghz (when it should be 3.8Ghz) and it drops down to 4.1Ghz when at turbo which is a little strange?

Bladophazer

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
That's definitely an improvement! But it still seems there is an issue with your cpu not getting up to speed,( I think the average all-core speed for an 5800X is about 4.5Ghz?) What power plan are you running on Windows? ie balanced? power saver? Your base speed says 4.2Ghz (when it should be 3.8Ghz) and it drops down to 4.1Ghz when at turbo which is a little strange?
I went into Control Panel and changed the power plan to high performance. Should I run the benchmark again, see if it made a difference?

Bladophazer

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
You could but it should still run upto speed on balanced if you use the power-slide and slide it up to best performance. (in settings, go to System, then click on Power and Sleep and you can use the power-slide there.)
Yeah, I ran the benchmark again. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46643057 , The slider was at high performance, but funnily enough I got a worse result than earlier. Turbo clock does not go over 4.2ghz, so I may have to overclock? At least the CPU, but maybe even the GPU? At this point I am considering every option as I am tired of looking at other's benchmarks getting 200 fps when i still get 120 at most in the exact same games with the exact same specs and graphics settings and resolution.

Bladophazer

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
The gpu actually looks ok. It is being compared to gpu’s that have been overclocked.

The cpu is weird, everything I read says it should boost higher. What is the cpu temperature when running userbenchmark? Are you running the latest BIOS version?
The CPU temps reach around 60° C at most when running the benchmark. I just checked my BIOS and indeed, it is an outdated version. I will update it now just in case, but could it really make that much of a difference performance-wise if the BIOS is outdated?

Yeah, I ran the benchmark again. https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46643057 , The slider was at high performance, but funnily enough I got a worse result than earlier. Turbo clock does not go over 4.2ghz, so I may have to overclock? At least the CPU, but maybe even the GPU? At this point I am considering every option as I am tired of looking at other's benchmarks getting 200 fps when i still get 120 at most in the exact same games with the exact same specs and graphics settings and resolution.
Go to the mobo site and update your bios your quite far behind.
While your there update the chipset driver if needed.
https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b550-f-gaming-wi-fi-model/helpdesk_bios

Bladophazer

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019

Bladophazer

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019

TRENDING THREADS