My PC isn't detecting my hard drive

Joshv8

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
I replaced the Power supply and booted the system. BIOS hasn't detected my SATA drive. I have checked the cables and they seem to be in. the hard drive is spinning. what have i done wrong?

Solution
Hi there Joshv8,

So the drive is not recognized by BIOS right? My suggestion would be to attach the drive with different cables(both SATA and power ones), to a different SATA port.

Other things you can try:
- Reset CMOS.
- Update MOBO's drivers.

In case the issue persists, you can attach the drive to another PC, as Hellfire13 has already suggested.

@Kenneth Barker The OP has mentioned that the drive is not recognized by BIOS.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Kenneth Barker

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
This can also happen when a drive is not assigned a Drive letter. If you are just checking to see if the drive shows up in windows, this will often not work.

Check to see if the drive shows up in the BIOS. You should see the drive listed in the BIOS as a drive.

If that shows up, then when you boot into windows you need to do something to attach the drive to a drive letter, I am spacing currently how to do this. But there is certainly a decent tutorial on the web on how to do this. From what I remember, it was somewhere in the Drive management section of windows (imagine thats where something like that would be)

Good Luck

Hi there Joshv8,

So the drive is not recognized by BIOS right? My suggestion would be to attach the drive with different cables(both SATA and power ones), to a different SATA port.

Other things you can try:
- Reset CMOS.
- Update MOBO's drivers.

In case the issue persists, you can attach the drive to another PC, as Hellfire13 has already suggested.

@Kenneth Barker The OP has mentioned that the drive is not recognized by BIOS.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Solution