[SOLVED] My PC just restarted itself while I was playing a game ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
I was playing Zombie Army: Dead War and suddenly all my screens went black (not even a bsod) and next thing I know is my PC restarted itself.
I have no idea what could have caused it, I played that same game for 40h in total now and never had this happen before, although I was experiencing crashes when launching the game with Vulcan but it was isolated to this one game.
I looked at WhoCrashed and there was nothing there from the date when the crash happened, I also looked at the dump files and there were no new dump files.

The last thing I did was reinstalling all Microsoft visual C++ Redistributable programs which is what Rebellion support told me to do. After doing so I played the game for a couple hours and had no crash until now.

Solution
I was playing Zombie Army: Dead War and suddenly all my screens went black (not even a bsod) and next thing I know is my PC restarted itself.
I have no idea what could have caused it, I played that same game for 40h in total now and never had this happen before, although I was experiencing crashes when launching the game with Vulcan but it was isolated to this one game.
I looked at WhoCrashed and there was nothing there from the date when the crash happened, I also looked at the dump files and there were no new dump files.

The last thing I did was reinstalling all Microsoft visual C++ Redistributable programs which is what Rebellion support told me to do. After doing so I played the game for a couple hours and had no crash until...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Alright ill wait and see then, if there wont be any issues in the next week or two ill come back and mark an answer. Thanks for helping out.
Out of curiosity, aside from the higher efficiency rating and assuming that all parts work properly, how is the Corsair HX1000 better then the EVGA 1000GQ?

The EVGA has mediocre ripple for the price (the Corsair murderizes it), has transient response issues, and some of the GQs go out of spec on the minor rails at load.

The Corsair is on a modern platform with a half-bridge/LLC resonant converter. Since EVGA stopped using Super Flower, they haven't had any top-tier PSUs.

Don't get me wrong, the GQ's not a dreadful PSU or anything like that, but you are having an issue and again, there have been reports about 3080s and 3090s having issues with the cheaper ACRF topology FSP uses (they make the GQ). This ain't a 1050 Ti or even a 2070 you're running.

Reactions: Flame1

Flame1

Honorable
Aug 8, 2017
If and when it happens again, you don't have to go that nuts on the PSU. Something like this is far more than enough, and you won't have fan problems either.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Corsair HX Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£184.99 @ Corsair UK)
Total: £184.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-03 08:40 BST+0100

You'd be a-OK with an 850, honestly, even pushing the GPU, so 1000W is more than enough headroom.
Not sure if thats a completely unrelated issue but I've just had my pc completely freeze on me. I had my pc on overnight with a light game running . When I got back on I ran a heavier game after which I restarted my PC just in case there were any updates. After the restart I played a light game for about an hour and thats when everything just completely froze, none of the keys or shortcuts worked, all 3 monitors were completely frozen and I couldn't even move my mouse. After I held down the power button and restarted, everything is running fine again.