Question My PC just turns off (not shut down) randomly. Help please.

May 16, 2023
Hi folks,
My PC just turns off (not shut down) randomly.
The system is 7 years old and has had 0 changes since built.
Not hot, dirty, dusty, etc...
The case and CPU fans are working.
Nothing is or ever was overclocked.
Device name OldRed
Processor AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor 3.81 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (7.90 GB usable)
Device ID 26707ADE-A940-40F9-8540-6C1C5ACCA82E
Product ID 00330-80000-00000-AA603
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

I am bedridden in a nursing home and this PC is my world any help would be gratefully appreciated.

I did a Windows 10 clean install that didn't help.

May 16, 2023
I'd start by replacing the PSU. Then I'd go ahead and change the CPU thermal paste.
Thank you, I was afraid it might be the PSU even though I went high-end when I built the PC.
The thermal paste was artic silver and doubt that is the issue. I sat and watched temps for 4+ hours until the PC went dead again and the CPU never went over 38C.
Shocked a Thermaltake Gold may be the issue.
I can probably get a better PC than what I have off eBay for the replacement cost for that PSU.
Thanks again this is a new login, but I'm been trusting Toms since May of 1996 when I built my first non-off-the-shelf PC because Tomshardware made it sound cool.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Thank you, I was afraid it might be the PSU even though I went high-end when I built the PC.
The thermal paste was artic silver and doubt that is the issue. I sat and watched temps for 4+ hours until the PC went dead again and the CPU never went over 38C.
Shocked a Thermaltake Gold may be the issue.
I can probably get a better PC than what I have off eBay for the replacement cost for that PSU.
Thanks again this is a new login, but I'm been trusting Toms since May of 1996 when I built my first non-off-the-shelf PC because Tomshardware made it sound cool.
PSU replacement cost should not be that much. But if you're confined to a bed, then nothing is easy. Hope someone can help you out.

May 16, 2023
PSU replacement cost should not be that much. But if you're confined to a bed, then nothing is easy. Hope someone can help you out.
Thank you for the reply. I've been dreaming on eBay. I will have to see what I can get after I save up some cash. When you are in an old folk home the home gets all your benefits except $30 a month.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Thank you for the reply. I've been dreaming on eBay. I will have to see what I can get after I save up some cash. When you are in an old folk home the home gets all your benefits except $30 a month.
When it turns off by itself, how do you bring it back to life? I can surely sympathize with your situation.

May 16, 2023
When it turns off by itself, how do you bring it back to life? I can surely sympathize with your situation.
I just push the power button and it's back. Sometimes for 5 minutes sometimes for 5 hours. lol If it would give me 5 days I wouldn't complain.

It's not like I'm pushing my PC, I do sudoku and word games, watch YouTube, and sometimes play Minecraft until a creeper blows up my house. lol
Or read free ebooks on the internet archives.

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
I just push the power button and it's back. Sometimes for 5 minutes sometimes for 5 hours. lol If it would give me 5 days I wouldn't complain.

It's not like I'm pushing my PC, I do sudoku and word games, watch YouTube, and sometimes play Minecraft until a creeper blows up my house. lol
Or read free ebooks on the internet archives.
Unfortunately, in your situation, it's hard to tell. I would suspect a power problem, but it wouldn't necessarily be the power supply. It could be an intermittent connection on a cable, a problem with the power switch itself. You might try gently tapping in the side of your computer to see if you can induce the problem. If that produces the problem, it would mean you most likely have a bad connection somewhere. Wish I could help more.

May 16, 2023
Unfortunately, in your situation, it's hard to tell. I would suspect a power problem, but it wouldn't necessarily be the power supply. It could be an intermittent connection on a cable, a problem with the power switch itself. You might try gently tapping in the side of your computer to see if you can induce the problem. If that produces the problem, it would mean you most likely have a bad connection somewhere. Wish I could help more.
The one good GNA was working tonight so I got him to open the case and gently, but firmly wiggle then push in every cable connection, card, and ram stick. Checked outside cords for wiggles at the wall and PSU. Rebooted the system then with latex gloved hand flicked, tapped, and very gingerly wiggled everything inside the case. From the CPU fan to the SSD mount and it stayed running. With any luck any and more than a couple of prayers, maybe something got snugged up and the old girl will last as long as I do. Thank you for the ideas.

The one good GNA was working tonight so I got him to open the case and gently, but firmly wiggle then push in every cable connection, card, and ram stick. Checked outside cords for wiggles at the wall and PSU. Rebooted the system then with latex gloved hand flicked, tapped, and very gingerly wiggled everything inside the case. From the CPU fan to the SSD mount and it stayed running. With any luck any and more than a couple of prayers, maybe something got snugged up and the old girl will last as long as I do. Thank you for the ideas.

Hey, I have a AM3/AM3+system that's between 13 and 10 years old (components acquired from 2010 to 2013) it's a bit dusty and is used every day... compared to yours, mine is ancient... so, I see no real reason why your's shouldn't run as good... but one thing I have noticed, is that recently installed Windows OSes before they get updated through Windows Update, they tend to turn off randomly, and the cause has been outdated drivers, and old hardware working with outdated Windows drivers, but hardware manufacturers have their own available driver downloads. So, if your Windows 10 clean installation is from a 7-year-old installer, that would be a likely cause for it to turn off. You could either update drivers from the Motherboard Model downloads... or install a recent edition of Windows 10 or 11, downloaded from a Microsoft download center, or even let it download and install all the Windows updates it needs.

If you don't have a Product Key, make it run flawlessly by Activating it with a Microsoft Account. After that, just create a Local user account, and use it, to avoid all the online pestering inconveniences of using a Microsoft account.

May 16, 2023
Hey, I have a AM3/AM3+system that's between 13 and 10 years old (components acquired from 2010 to 2013) it's a bit dusty and is used every day... compared to yours, mine is ancient... so, I see no real reason why your's shouldn't run as good... but one thing I have noticed, is that recently installed Windows OSes before they get updated through Windows Update, they tend to turn off randomly, and the cause has been outdated drivers, and old hardware working with outdated Windows drivers, but hardware manufacturers have their own available driver downloads. So, if your Windows 10 clean installation is from a 7-year-old installer, that would be a likely cause for it to turn off. You could either update drivers from the Motherboard Model downloads... or install a recent edition of Windows 10 or 11, downloaded from a Microsoft download center, or even let it download and install all the Windows updates it needs.

If you don't have a Product Key, make it run flawlessly by Activating it with a Microsoft Account. After that, just create a Local user account, and use it, to avoid all the online pestering inconveniences of using a Microsoft account.
Hi, thank you for the ideas. My Windows10pro is authenticated online activated and fully updated as well as the drivers for the limited components from their respective websites. I have a lot of time to invest. I am surprised to have issues as well I built low-end but high-quality.

Good, so that discards a cause related to Windows Activation. The comment is because I have noticed that while Windows 10 has not been Activated, lots of performance issues seem to bug the system, they started with locked/unavailable configurations, and now include performance and stability issues, that all disappear the moment you Activate Windows 10.

When the PC turns off randomly; Have you looked for possible records in the event viewer, about what may happen when the equipment is turned off? Search in: This PC \ right click - Manage \ System Tools \ Event Viewer.... just keep track of the exact time the event happens, and search the logs by it.

There could also be logged errors in the dump file, which are usually caused by drivers... C:\Windows\Minidump\
These shutdowns are registered and blue screened with error codes so in case blue screens are not displayed, the Even Viewer would be more likely to provide related information.

And if nothing turns out to be logged, it would mean a power issue is more likely to be causing the turnoffs.

The Signs & Symptoms of a Computer Not Receiving Enough Power

May 16, 2023
The event viewer has thousands of entries but nothing that reads like "this is an issue" type of stuff.
I have 1 mini dump file that is corrupted and Cool Viewer can't open it.
ATM my PC has been up since 9:30 pm so hopeful something was loose and now isn't.
If it flicks off again I will immediately check the minidump and then event viewer now that you've reminded me they exist.
Thank you again.
Fingers crossed

Tomshardware forums never fail. 10/10 will cry here again lol