Question My PC keeps black screen restarting without any warning

Jan 21, 2021
I'm fairly new to the ballpark that is computers, so if there's something I don't know, I do my research. About a couple of months ago, I accomplished the great feat of building my first PC, everything was running fine and I didn't have any problems. About a month after I start to have this problem that completely turns off my keyboard, mouse, disconnects the signal from my monitor, and restarts my PC like I was just then turning it on. What I'm really confused with is that the tower is still on. I've done about a month of research regarding this problem, and can't find any answers. I've reinstalled my drivers, cleaned everything, checked temperatures, under clocked, and done everything I can possibly imagine that would fix the problem.

My system specs are:
Ryzen 9 3900x
RX 5700 XT Sapphire Nitro+
X570 Aorus Master
Samsung 980 EVO
Corsair RM 850x
Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that correspond with the black screen restarts.

However, my thought is that there a loose connector somewhere.

Power off, unplug, open the case.

Double check by sight and feel that all cards, cables, connectors, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

No one wants to force a connection in a new build so sometimes connections feel tight when they actually are not. Then loosen further due to thermal expansion/contraction and/or vibrations.

You may need to unplug and replug connections a few times to get a sense of if the connection is indeed fully in place.

Jan 21, 2021
I've tried these solutions multiple times, reinstalled my ram sticks, graphics card, psu, and cables. I did indeed forget to mention the error code I was getting in computer management. "Event 41, Kernel Power", that and "Event 2, Kernel-EventTracing. I also need to correct myself on the original post, my monitor doesn't necessarily disconnect, it just goes black because the computer is restarting.

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
I've tried these solutions multiple times, reinstalled my ram sticks, graphics card, psu, and cables. I did indeed forget to mention the error code I was getting in computer management. "Event 41, Kernel Power", that and "Event 2, Kernel-EventTracing. I also need to correct myself on the original post, my monitor doesn't necessarily disconnect, it just goes black because the computer is restarting.
To add to your list of things to check, verify ram timings are correctly set in bios to match product specs, and you could even go a step further to run memtest for a few while contemplating other suggestions. As previously mentioned check temps, usually since its a relatively easy thing to do its usually one of the more common things to do first.

Jan 21, 2021
To add to your list of things to check, verify ram timings are correctly set in bios to match product specs, and you could even go a step further to run memtest for a few while contemplating other suggestions. As previously mentioned check temps, usually since its a relatively easy thing to do its usually one of the more common things to do first.
Thanks, I've been contemplating if it had anything to do with the ram or not. But besides that, I've been putting most of my time into researching how to power supply and gpu could directly impact this problem. Just to be safe, I'm most likely going to use my warranty on my graphics card sooner than later, considering it only lasts until the 31st.