[SOLVED] My pc keeps boots to BIOS everytime

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorrexd

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
Recently I upgraded my gtx 970 to a rtx 2070 super and also needed to upgrade my PSU because old one didn't have 2x8 pin.
After I put everything back together my pc boots to BIOS first and after i click away it just works normally ( no issues at all).
I checked boot order wich seems to be fine. (it detects both my ssd and hdd)
I also checked if all cables are in good. ( no issues that I can see there )
This morning I also replaced CMOS batterie ( that didnt fix it either )

Only thing else wich seems off to me is in BIOS it says
SATA port 1 is not present
SATA port 2 is SSD
SATA port 3 is HDD

could this be an issue?

Solution
If you change the location of your SSD from SATA2 to SATA1 port, you may still have a problem. As silly as it may sound, when a BIOS is set to use the "SSD" or whatever it is called to boot from, what it really stores in its settings is the particular PORT that device is on. If you move the device, it cannot be found!

If you have that problem, do this to force it to re-find the SSD.
  1. Shut down and remove power. Disconnect at the SSD both the data cable and the power connector. Boot the machine, and it will fail with a message to insert a bootable disk or some such. Just shut down. Now your system knows there is no boot device anywhere.
  2. Re-connect the cable at the SSD Now go to the other end of the data cable and move it to the...

jorrexd

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
Which motherboard is it?
Which BIOS version is on it?
Which CPU are you using?

Did you overclock your system?

How do you click it away? just exit or save & exit?
Motherboard is MSI z170a gaming m5
BIOS is MSI not sure version
CPU is i7 6700k

No overclocks
just exit and save and exit both just get me to windows and everything works fine after.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You have reported that the Boot Order screen shows all your storage devcices, BUT you have not said that you actually SET the order to use the SSD first, AND NOT to try to use any other boot device. Then of course you have to SAVE and EXIT.

Many systems will use the SATA1 port as the default boot device if you do NOT specifically set the boot order yourself.

jorrexd

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
You have reported that the Boot Order screen shows all your storage devcices, BUT you have not said that you actually SET the order to use the SSD first, AND NOT to try to use any other boot device. Then of course you have to SAVE and EXIT.

Many systems will use the SATA1 port as the default boot device if you do NOT specifically set the boot order yourself.
Sorry if I did not explain this good enough.
The boot order is set ssd first witch is where the os is on, then the hdd.
Same way it has always been but ever since installing new PSU and GPU its been booting straight to bios

TR909

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
So SSD which is your OS disk (Windows) is in SATA slot 1 - please verify this in BIOS.
Now can you unplug everything on the computer except the SSD disk, mouse/keyboard and try to boot? What happens?

jorrexd

Reputable
Dec 28, 2015
So SSD which is your OS disk (Windows) is in SATA slot 1 - please verify this in BIOS.
Now can you unplug everything on the computer except the SSD disk, mouse/keyboard and try to boot? What happens?
SSD is in SATA slot 1
Do you mean disconnecting gpu and other hdd in the case and only having mouse and keyboard connected outside of case or can i remove more (sorry im not sure if i can)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you change the location of your SSD from SATA2 to SATA1 port, you may still have a problem. As silly as it may sound, when a BIOS is set to use the "SSD" or whatever it is called to boot from, what it really stores in its settings is the particular PORT that device is on. If you move the device, it cannot be found!

If you have that problem, do this to force it to re-find the SSD.
  1. Shut down and remove power. Disconnect at the SSD both the data cable and the power connector. Boot the machine, and it will fail with a message to insert a bootable disk or some such. Just shut down. Now your system knows there is no boot device anywhere.
  2. Re-connect the cable at the SSD Now go to the other end of the data cable and move it to the SATA1 port. Boot into BIOS Setup directly and go immediately to the Boot Priority setup screen. Now you should find the SSD again and can set that as your first boot device. But it WILL be recorded in its new location and work. SAVE and EXIT, and it should boot cleanly.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.