Question My pc keeps crashing when playing certain games

Aug 5, 2020
A month ago I was playing rust when it started crashing 1 or 2 times a day, this became worse when time went by and now I can't even play rust or doom 2016 for 20 minutes straight. The crashing doesn't occur on any other games. The crash is basically a black screen with the graphic card fans spinning at 100%. Temperatures are normal as well. I also ran a 2 hour gpu stress test in heaven and it didnt crash.

My specs:

Asus arez Vega 56
Ryzen 5 3600
16gb 3200mhz
B450 tomahawk max
Rm750x

The things I have tried:

Bios update
Driver updates
New psu
Reinstalling the game
Validating game files
Setting steam to administrator mode
Changing graphics
Putting stuff in startup settings
Changing affinity
Ending all other tasks apart from the game

Thanks for helping

ben001

Distinguished
  1. What is the temperature of your components while playing those games?
  2. What other games you tried?.

I am not sure, but I hope you have performed a clean graphics driver installation or anything conflicting with your games can be software.

It's not going to be easy to solve your issue. Many things are linked with each other here.

Let us know, :)

Aug 5, 2020
  1. What is the temperature of your components while playing those games?
  2. What other games you tried?.
I am not sure, but I hope you have performed a clean graphics driver installation or anything conflicting with your games can be software.

It's not going to be easy to solve your issue. Many things are linked with each other here.

Let us know, :)

Thanks for replying to my post, the temperatures haven't really changed since I got my gpu, they are between 78 and 82 °c (172 and 179 °f) under load.

I have tried the following games:
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Rainbow Six Siege
Hearts of Iron 4
Battlefield 1
Battlefield 5
Elite Dangerous
The Witcher 3
CS:GO

I have performed a clean driver install by deleting all drivers with DDU, i have installed drivers from 2019 and from 2020.

ben001

Distinguished
The only way is if you can share the DxDiag file saving all information. It will tell you something about your crashing of games, but I am not sure if it is allowed here to post such information openly. If this needs any permission from moderators as I never asked to share the DxDiag file from someone here before.

Aug 5, 2020
The only way is if you can share the DxDiag file saving all information. It will tell you something about your crashing of games, but I am not sure if it is allowed here to post such information openly. If this needs any permission from moderators as I never asked to share the DxDiag file from someone here before.
What exactly does it tell, or where in dxdiag can i find it?

ben001

Distinguished
It is a direct x diagnostic tool is used for troubleshooting purposes, such a thing that contains information about your system's specifications, versions and etc. It can also tell if you have experienced an error or crash while playing games. They must have a record from your past when you have played a game that crashed.

Or, if you are using a steam version then it may have created a log file on the time of crashing which can be found inside your game folder. I am trying to look for the cause.

In windows 10, search for Dxdiag on the search bar below, wait for the load to complete, and click on Save all information. It will create a text document file.

BUT, before you do anything. Since you have updated your OpenCL driver, I would recommend you to change the setting inside your AMD control panel, select OpenCL or enforce it if you have that option and try to run the game and see if it's crashing. By knowing your above explanation, I can see it is more of a software issue and it is normal when it comes to AMD's history.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020
It is a direct x diagnostic tool is used for troubleshooting purposes, such a thing that contains information about your system's specifications, versions and etc. It can also tell if you have experienced an error or crash while playing games. They must have a record from your past when you have played a game that crashed.

Or, if you are using a steam version then it may have created a log file on the time of crashing which can be found inside your game folder. I am trying to look for the cause.

In windows 10, search for Dxdiag on the search bar below, wait for the load to complete, and click on Save all information. It will create a text document file.

BUT, before you do anything. Since you have updated your OpenCL driver, I would recommend you to change the setting inside your AMD control panel, select OpenCL or enforce it if you have that option and try to run the game and see if it's crashing. By knowing your above explanation, I can see it is more of a software issue and it is normal when it comes to AMD's history.
i found the Dxdiag stuff, however i dont understand what setting you are talking about since i cant find anything about opencl in radeon software. excuse me, but i am pretty unexperienced when it comes to software.

ben001

Distinguished
So, the new AMD does not support OpenCL as it used to before.

You can try a few things:

1. Changing the game's compatibility mode to Windows 7 or 8
  2. Reset your Radeon global settings or disable your anti-virus.

and, You can pm me your DxDiag file.

Aug 5, 2020
So, the new AMD does not support OpenCL as it used to before.

You can try a few things:

1. Changing the game's compatibility mode to Windows 7 or 8
  2. Reset your Radeon global settings or disable your anti-virus.
and, You can pm me your DxDiag file.
Neither of these things worked, i also send the dxdiag file to you.

ben001

Distinguished
I found some crash reports multiple times which is pointing towards your radeonsoftware.exe.

So it is a software issue and I would ask to contact Radeon customer support and submit a ticket to them or if they can able to remote access your desktop whichever is available. I hope your issue will get fixed.

Let us know the outcome. :)